Latest bonsai tree work

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
I pretty much have three main passions in life. Fly fishing, aquariums, and bonsai trees. Long as I have those three things in my life then I am a happy man :)

This is the latest bonsai tree I have been working on. It's a juniper that I picked up at the end of the season from Lowes for $5 on sale when they were closing out the seasonal shrubs. I repotted it after I got it then let it sit over winter till I gave it its first prune and wiring last spring. It had filled in really nicely over this spring/summer so I sat down and gave it its second styling just this morning. Still has a ways to go but it is coming along really nicely now and should be a great little tree in a few more years.

First pic is before I started working on it last year...

Then this is it today after it's 2nd styling work done......

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Really nice,you certainly have a talent for the trees.I was recently checking out some possible prospects among the marked down shrubs at Home Depot.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Really nice,you certainly have a talent for the trees.I was recently checking out some possible prospects among the marked down shrubs at Home Depot.
You can find some pretty good ones at Lowes & HD at the end of the season. I wish they would close out their boxwoods for cheap too because they make some really nice bonsai as well but my local shops never seem to mark the boxwoods down the way they do the Junipers.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You can find some pretty good ones at Lowes & HD at the end of the season. I wish they would close out their boxwoods for cheap too because they make some really nice bonsai as well but my local shops never seem to mark the boxwoods down the way they do the Junipers.
Yep,there was a bunch of marked down boxwoods there.I might have to go back and take a close r look at them.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Damn man I wish they marked the boxwoods down here. I love boxwoods as bonsai. I have a decent sized one I got at Sam's club about 3 yrs ago for $25. Only took a couple trims to get it worked into a nice looking bonsai. My lowes/HD never seem to mark down the boxwood like the junipers and spruce though.

I'll have to go out and snap a pic of my boxwood in a min to show ya.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Here's my boxwood. And here's a few pics of my backyard. I turned my backyard into a bonsai garden about 5 yrs ago. I have around 18-20 bonsai trees. None are really high end old ones, but lots of enjoyable ones that are good project trees that I like working with.

My boxxwood...

few shots of the bonsai garden backyard. I plan to dig the Koi pong out to about 1500g next spring, they are growing fast lol

Reactions: Bonytang and J. H.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Here's my boxwood. And here's a few pics of my backyard. I turned my backyard into a bonsai garden about 5 yrs ago. I have around 18-20 bonsai trees. None are really high end old ones, but lots of enjoyable ones that are good project trees that I like working with.

My boxxwood...
That one looks nice,how long have you had it?....and on a side note,I have been eyeing that shed that can be seen in the background.I would love for one of the home centers to mark that down lol!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That boxwood I got about 3 yrs ago. That's the one I got from Sams Club for $25. It's coming into its own this year. The shed is my "overwinter" shed for my bonsai :) bought that about 5 yrs ago from Sam's Club for about $650/$700 I think?
Yes,it goes for about six hundred here.One of the reasons I haven't gotten it yet is that it will not fit in the spot where I really want it in my yard.I have plenty of space in my yard for it but I only have a few ideal locations.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan

After spending some time today at the bonsai show and being able to pick the brain of a couple guys that have been in the hobby for 30+ yrs I decided to take some of what I got from them today and redo this one that I just did last week. removed some lower branches and bent down other branches in their place. Added a lot of movement to all the branches now with a lot of wiring. And thinned out as well a reduced the foliage. Should back bud now and I think become a really nice tree with in a year or two I hope.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store