Lavarock to Liverock?

nbku3vm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2006
arizona
I posted this in the set up and filtration forum and got no replies.

At my parents cabin in Northern Arizona, ther are cinders all over the place in all sizes. It is lava rock that is extremely porus and very light because of it. Has any body tried to create more live rock using this. Most of it is a beautiful deep red. It has so much surface area that I think it would work really well. Has anybody out there tried this before?

nbku3vm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2006
arizona
Also, how long does regular docor rock take to become live rock in an established marine aquarium?

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
Do you know if it would leech anything into the water? Real live rock is better because it would help to buffer your PH but if the lava rock isnt going to lower your PH or leach anything into the water then it should be fine. It would probably take 6 weeks or so to start helping biologically but it would take a year or more before it looked like good quality live rock. The more real live rock you mix with it the quicker it will be.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
It's possible to get lava rock to culture with organisms in an aquarium but may not be cost effective in the long run. SW organisms utilize calcium within the limestone or coral base rock to build their own colonial cells, tubes, trackways, etc. These minerals and elements would have to be constantly added to the tank to get them the basics needed to colonize on lavarock. And, it still may not work if the lava rock leeches any acidity into the tank.
Before trying, fill a bucket with water and test the pH. Then add pieces of lavarock in close to the proportions you'd have in the tank. Test the water periodically over the next month to see if there's a significant drop in pH or if the lavarock has no appreciable effect on pH.
If the pH factor turns out OK and you decide to proceed with lava rock, you'll still need a substrate of crushed coral and/or aragonite. Regular dosing with trace elements will also be needed. Then, a couple of pieces of actual live rock will be needed to seed your system with organisms.
Sounds like an interesting experiment and possible alternative to stripping coastal waters of live rock. Keep us posted.

nbku3vm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2006
arizona
If I were to use this it would be used soley for base rock. I have a 150gallon freshwater tank now that when I move in december I'm going to set up a reef tank. I will soon have a mortgage so I definatly will not have a couple of $G's to spend on live rock to make a nice wall 72" x 24". PH levels have been consistant for a week now. I have about 30 lbs in an old 20 gallon with an old ac 70 I had layin around. I did a 10% water change to simulate it in an salt environment and the water is still on the hard side. I'll keep you all posted.

If the PH levels stay put. I'll try a 4in deep live sand bed with some cured live rock from my LFS. If all is well by december I will have a 20 gallon full of tonga live rock and lava live rock. should be a nice cheap start to a great reef aqarium! It would be freaking awesome if I could grow my own live base rock!!!!!!

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
its going to be a long process to use the lava rock and transform it into a live rock.... i would use lava rock as base rock, and add 1 and half times more live rock from a store... its going to take along time for the rock to be ready. Good luck

Redtail_Watcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
nbku3vm;691193; said:
Also, how long does regular docor rock take to become live rock in an established marine aquarium?
it takes about 1 1/2 year to be establish in a marine tank

pete620

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Ohio
I've read on reefcentral.com that lava rock is a bad idea because it can leach silicates into the water.

nbku3vm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2006
arizona
pete620;716484; said:
I've read on reefcentral.com that lava rock is a bad idea because it can leach silicates into the water.
I thought that silicates were insoluable in water? just like silicon sand

pete620

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Ohio
I don't know the chemistry behind it, but I do know silicates are bad for reefs. Next time you go to a fish store look at phosphate removers, most say they also remove silicates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store