LED lights

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
So to try and help answer your question I took some video.
I hope you can see the difference.
Not all leds are going to produce the same effect, this is a kessel a160we. While all leds are point source lighting and create a shimmer effect spacing of the leds in a unit will change the shimmer effect, closer together will decrease the shimmer and farther will increase. Kessels are even more "different" as they are a multi led in a single chip or what is called a cob. This creates a super bright single point of light that creates crazy shimmer. All my tanks have leds but this is the best to show the difference, on video you cant tell one the others.
Hope this helps.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
So to try and help answer your question I took some video.
I hope you can see the difference.
Not all leds are going to produce the same effect, this is a kessel a160we. While all leds are point source lighting and create a shimmer effect spacing of the leds in a unit will change the shimmer effect, closer together will decrease the shimmer and farther will increase. Kessels are even more "different" as they are a multi led in a single chip or what is called a cob. This creates a super bright single point of light that creates crazy shimmer. All my tanks have leds but this is the best to show the difference, on video you cant tell one the others.
Hope this helps.
That's interesting, I never realised that the shimmer effect, which I quite like, would be effected by the polycarbonate lid.

One aspect that could also be important, and I don't fully understand it, is the different colours of lights. Some are good for fish colours, some are good for plant colours (and to help plants grow I believe). I don't have planted tanks. Are there LED units that are solely for fish or do they all have a mix of lights to cover the planted aspect too.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
One aspect that could also be important, and I don't fully understand it, is the different colours of lights. Some are good for fish colours, some are good for plant colours (and to help plants grow I believe). I don't have planted tanks. Are there LED units that are solely for fish or do they all have a mix of lights to cover the planted aspect too.
I've seen kind of cheaper LED's (esp. for smaller tanks) that say they are for fish or for plants, but I would think most nicer LED's like viparspectra would be full spectrum and super adjustable to make whatever lighting/colors you wanted.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I've seen kind of cheaper LED's (esp. for smaller tanks) that say they are for fish or for plants, but I would think most nicer LED's like viparspectra would be full spectrum and super adjustable to make whatever lighting/colors you wanted.
This is correct....mostly.
That's interesting, I never realised that the shimmer effect, which I quite like, would be effected by the polycarbonate lid.

There are a few leds out there that their sole purpose is to effect how the fish look and other then that its worthless. Finnex had one called the monster ray that was just for enhancing fish color specifically the reds. I went to their site looks like they've done some changing up of their lights but still have one for color enhancement.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
This is correct....mostly.

There are a few leds out there that their sole purpose is to effect how the fish look and other then that its worthless. Finnex had one called the monster ray that was just for enhancing fish color specifically the reds. I went to their site looks like they've done some changing up of their lights but still have one for color enhancement.
Yeah I didn't mean to imply that only cheaper LED's are like that, but it's mostly those I've seen here because it's not easy to find better stuff like Finnex locally, mostly only cheap Chinese stuff unless you go to a reefer shop in Bangkok.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
In terms of colour spectrum, LEDs can be all different and before you pick your light, try checking any online videos to see how tanks and fish lit with them look like. Everyone has a different taste.... Personally, I like lights that have some violet in them. I had a kessil and it was mostly yellow so it wasn't to my taste...However, generally speaking, aquarium plants LEDs are more balanced and more natural color wise as they'd have a bit of all colors.

I googled the viparspectre ones, are they marine lights only or do they have a fresh water version? Fish have adapted to certain color spectrum depending on where they come from Black water fish would prefer a mixture of yellow/red on top of tannin-ed water. Clear water fish like african cichlids would be ok with cool white, mixed with some blue, etc..Marine lights are mostly blue and are not a natural light for most freshwater fish. It also washes out the colors of freshwater fish in my opinion.

If you are not growing plants, there is no need to get too much light. My pond is lit by only 2x50W LEDs which are not fully pointed down as they illuminate some of the emersed plants. It is plenty bright for the fish and they prefer it when one of the lights is off, enough for me to see them well but not too much to make them nervous.

I'd personally suspend the light and not sit it over. Think also long term convenience as I don't think it is going to be pleasant experience moving the light every time you need to open the tank. Also,make sure what your purchase is water proof. The LED lights can get hot enough to be untouchable, depending on what you get.

Lake Malawi

Discus

Reactions: islandguy11

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
In terms of colour spectrum, LEDs can be all different and before you pick your light, try checking any online videos to see how tanks and fish lit with them look like. Everyone has a different taste.... Personally, I like lights that have some violet in them. I had a kessil and it was mostly yellow so it wasn't to my taste...However, generally speaking, aquarium plants LEDs are more balanced and more natural color wise as they'd have a bit of all colors.

I googled the viparspectre ones, are they marine lights only or do they have a fresh water version? Fish have adapted to certain color spectrum depending on where they come from Black water fish would prefer a mixture of yellow/red on top of tannin-ed water. Clear water fish like african cichlids would be ok with cool white, mixed with some blue, etc..Marine lights are mostly blue and are not a natural light for most freshwater fish. It also washes out the colors of freshwater fish in my opinion.

If you are not growing plants, there is no need to get too much light. My pond is lit by only 2x50W LEDs which are not fully pointed down as they illuminate some of the emersed plants. It is plenty bright for the fish and they prefer it when one of the lights is off, enough for me to see them well but not too much to make them nervous.

I'd personally suspend the light and not sit it over. Think also long term convenience as I don't think it is going to be pleasant experience moving the light every time you need to open the tank. Also,make sure what your purchase is water proof. The LED lights can get hot enough to be untouchable, depending on what you get.

Lake Malawi

Discus
The more I look into all this LED stuff the more my head hurts. It's seems quite a complex subject, knowing all the ins and outs of colour spectrums, wattages, kelvins, blah blah blah. Thankfully i don't have planted tanks, where correct lighting is essential. So basically I just need a light source to see my fish, without it being too bright that it freaks them out. It'll be on during the day for 12 hours or so and then off at night, I don't even need this blue moonlight option which seems to be all the rage. I currently run fluorescent on my two 180's, nothing fancy whatsoever and they do a great job. I might even stick with fluorescent.

To be honest, i'm really surprised there isn't a sticky on LED's to give people like me some basic background guidance without having to wade through masses and masses of stuff on line.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Just pick the lights you like color wise, brightness wise and quality wise. If they're not plant lights it just doesn't matter that much beyond that. Many LEDs have the option for the intensity to be turned up or down which is convenient if you want to decrease the light for the fish..

Color spectrum generally refers to the colors of light you see, i.e. wavelengths.. What we see and what fish or plants see is not necessarily the same...We may not be able to detect certain wavelengths.

Lumen is the brightness. The more lumen, the brighter it appears to the human eye.

Kelvin is the color temperature. Think of fire that can look yellow, reddish at the start, then get brighter and even bluish as the temperature increases. For example 3000K light is yellow looking, 6000 K would be cool white, 15 000 K would be blue to the eye, etc..

Wattage used to refer to brightness/lumens but with the introduction of LEDs it is no longer the case as you can have lower powered LEDs which are brighter than fluorescent lights.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Just pick the lights you like color wise, brightness wise and quality wise. If they're not plant lights it just doesn't matter that much beyond that. Many LEDs have the option for the intensity to be turned up or down which is convenient if you want to decrease the light for the fish..

Color spectrum generally refers to the colors of light you see, i.e. wavelengths.. What we see and what fish or plants see is not necessarily the same...We may not be able to detect certain wavelengths.

Lumen is the brightness. The more lumen, the brighter it appears to the human eye.

Kelvin is the color temperature. Think of fire that can look yellow, reddish at the start, then get brighter and even bluish as the temperature increases. For example 3000K light is yellow looking, 6000 K would be cool white, 15 000 K would be blue to the eye, etc..

Wattage used to refer to brightness/lumens but with the introduction of LEDs it is no longer the case as you can have lower powered LEDs which are brighter than fluorescent lights.
Good explanation!

Reactions: Coryloach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store