leichardti export ban

rollerboy244

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
i actually found out about ban on this site-in the rare fishes classified-fugupuff
the add about the exporter from australia i was just surfing can't remember---i can't get fish out of the states let along australia------
sorry for the nickname for such an old bastard i'll change it when i exchange my inline skates for a walker

novafishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
Hey guys,
I'm from Australia, and yes, the Saratoga Jardini and the Leichardti are both natives. Some are pond bred, but I think most are wildcaught in the Northern Region of Australia. Young are usually available during December to February. THey range from AU$80-150 for a 12-15cm fish. Jardinis usually fetch a higher price than the Leichardtis.

Silver arowanas here are around $500 for a 13cm fish. SO when you guys swap a 10" saratoga for TWO silver arowanas, I envy you guys.

THe quarantine and import laws here are one of the most strictest in the world.

Jason

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2005
Yeah i admire them in some ways for the laws but damn it makes getting breeding populations out a real pain. I couldnt belive how much some people went nuts when i mentioned that could get gar from my LFS for 15-20 dollars US and from a wholesaler for about 1/4 that. Its odd how when something is native that you could care less about it and go half a world away and its gold.

I had someone from germany ask if i could ship him some pumpkin seed sunfish preferably a couple males in color. I use those to feed my snapping turtles.....i guess i never really noticed.

I think might have to make tank space for a couple arrows before the red tape buries them.

Jason

Ariel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2005
novafishy said:
Hey guys,
I'm from Australia, and yes, the Saratoga Jardini and the Leichardti are both natives. Some are pond bred, but I think most are wildcaught in the Northern Region of Australia. Young are usually available during December to February. THey range from AU$80-150 for a 12-15cm fish. Jardinis usually fetch a higher price than the Leichardtis.

Silver arowanas here are around $500 for a 13cm fish. SO when you guys swap a 10" saratoga for TWO silver arowanas, I envy you guys.

THe quarantine and import laws here are one of the most strictest in the world.
Leichardtis is more expensive than Jardinis & silver aro in Singapore, eg a 2" silver only cost s$8 :p

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
maybe there's a hefty good reason for the ban, its either we abide by the rules or end up losing the species

rollerboy244

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
hopefully this might help promote breeding outside of Australia of this species(as it did for the asian variety)From my searches though i don't find Scleropages leichardti to be much in demand--try finding good pictures or information about Leichardti.
I bought mine online--hoping i would be pleased--i was i could imagine the possibilities of selective breeding of this species with the orange to red inner scale spots mine has that greenish silver gleem it's certainly distinct from Scleropages jardini i find Leichardti reminds me somewhat of a trout at the size of my current arowana aprox. 5-6" jardini more typical arowana.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store