Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Very nice collection, what's the growth rate for the probarbus

hpham

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Guessing 1kg per year, have no idea on the length. Probarbus as they grow, their body become deeper & wider, not longer.
I agree, I finally got hold of a few 3 inchers a month ago and now they are much thicker, you must have had yours for awhile now because its looks huge

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
I agree, I finally got hold of a few 3 inchers a month ago and now they are much thicker, you must have had yours for awhile now because its looks huge
No, I had mine on 12th March this year, it was around 1kg-16" or so. Now my guesstimate around 2kg-19 to 20", same size as my 20" mahseer. He's a wild Probarbus, juvenile ones are rare, got em at already "big" size.

Truthfully, there are no wild juvenile Probarbus in the hobby. All of em that you see at the store are farm products. It is rare to catch wild juvenile. Also wild ones they're are hard to be kept alive. It's either from the fishing method or the fish are just the sensitive type.

hpham

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Probarbus are becoming one of my favorites, they keep my tank bottom spotless, what is that fish on the top left in the first pic, the one with the red specs on belly

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Probarbus are becoming one of my favorites, they keep my tank bottom spotless, what is that fish on the top left in the first pic, the one with the red specs on belly
IMG_20201031_124828.jpg
IMG_20201031_124831.jpg

This one? I believe the english name for it are Hardlipped Barb, Osteochilus vittatus. Don't think these were ever exported anywhere but they're great for cleaning tanks, algaes & stuff. In SEA, we use Osteochilus species to clean our tanks, their cleanliness level the same as flagtails. Very efficient.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store