Lenticilata sexing and breeding behavior

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
I am new to the Pike world. i have a pair of lovely Lents about 6-7" long. The are coloring up nicely and spend most of thier time together in a large rock cave. One is obviously dominate and inflates its gills and head when it emerges quite often....The other spends more of ite time in the cave......can males and females be easily distinguished? Pics are tough as they are still very skitish. i got them three days ago after a long long search. One has some healing tail. The only pic I have so far is only an hour out of the mail and the fish are much better colored now. PH is just under 6. I have 300lbs of rock in the tank which provides a lovely maze. Any help would be awesome....My last tank concept was Datnoids.....this tank is pure South American with a young Mata Mata living on top on the rock structure. A show tank for sure!! TY KenIMG_1068.JPGpike 1.jpg

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Here is the other....Man they are tough to photo!!IMG_1098.JPG LENT 1.jpg IMG_1100.JPG LENT 2.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Look male. Females have the white stripe in the dorsal fin. Think they are a little small to tell.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Look male. Females have the white stripe in the dorsal fin. Think they are a little small to tell.
Thank you....the pair supposedly grew up together. They chase each other a bit but no biting so far. They hang in the same cave. Are males larger and more aggressive?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you....the pair supposedly grew up together. They chase each other a bit but no biting so far. They hang in the same cave. Are males larger and more aggressive?
Not sure specifically. Can ask Rocksor Rocksor and mrrobxc mrrobxc for some additional info.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Females will have a white submarginal for sale stripe. You can also vent them.

They’ve never been bred in captivity so if you’re successful, you’ll be the first.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Females will have a white submarginal for sale stripe. You can also vent them.

They’ve never been bred in captivity so if you’re successful, you’ll be the first.
Seems highly unlikely....Pikes do have complicated behavior vs many cichlids I have kept though......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store