Leopard Ctenopoma

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
I have baught 6 tiny little Leopard Ctenopoma. A species of Climbing Perch, also called Leopard Gourami and Leopard Bushfish. A nocturnal, very adorable and very facinating to watch. Very pretty, they are just about an inch or so now and can grow up to 15cm / 5.9 inches. Definitely one of my favourites now! I saw them in the LFS and just couldn't resist. Besides their big round eyes, pretty face and body shape, their spots look amazing too. I am not sure if these are the best pictures below, mine is just intense and I will take pictures as soon as I get my camera back from my brother. It seems there are variations within the Ctenopoma species. Anyone with experience?
-----------------------------------------------

Some read:

Written by: Fruitbat

Scientific Name: Ctenopoma acutirostre Pellegrin, 1899; Family - Anabantidae; Order - Perciformes
Synonyms: Anabas acutirostris (not valid), Ctenopoma denticulatum (not valid), Ctenopoma petherici (not valid)
Etymology: Ctenopoma from Greek 'ktenos' = comb (from the comb-like spines on the gill cover); acutirostre from Latin meaning 'long nose'.
Common Names: Leopard Ctenopoma, Spotted Ctenopoma, Spotted Climbing Perch, Leopard Bushfish
Region: Congo River basin in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Africa
Maximum Size: 15cm (5.9 inches). Usually smaller in the aquarium.
pH and Hardness: tolerates a wide range of water conditions. Typically from pH 6.0 - 8.0 and dH from 5.0 - 12.0
Temperature Range: decidedly tropical; temperature range between 75 - 82 degrees F.

Introduction

Labyrinth fish from Asia are very familiar to most aquarists. Gouramis like Trichogaster and Colisa grace thousands of tanks. The Siamese Fighting Fish (Betta splendens) is a world-wide favorite. Even the Paradise Fish (Macropodus opercularis) has a loyal following. Far less commonly kept are the African genera of anabantoids. These include the so-called 'bushfish' of the genera Ctenopoma, Microctenopoma and Sandelia.

One characteristic common to all labyrinth fish is the presence of a specialized respiratory structure called the 'labyrinth' organ. This is an auxiliary breathing apparatus that allows labyrinth fish to utilize atmospheric air when the dissolved oxygen content of the surrounding water gets too low. Labyrinth fish utilize this organ to greater or lesser degrees, depending on the type of fish. Regardless of type, most labyrinth fish can occasionally be seen at the surface gulping air even if the dissolved oxygen content of the water is high. Labyrinth fish are often the last fish to die in ponds that dry out during periods of drought.

Habitat and Niche

Ctenopoma acutirostre is found in the rivers, streams, lakes and swamps of the Congo River basin. It may live in areas of fairly rapid water movement but seems to prefer places with less current. This fish is primarily an ambush hunter. It will lie in wait, often at the edge of thick vegetation, for an unsuspecting smaller fish to blunder into range. The Leopard Ctenopoma will also actively hunt at night. Food items include smaller fish, amphibians and insects.

Appearance

The Leopard Ctenopoma has a rounded, laterally compressed body with large protruding eyes and a long, pointed snout. Unlike its gourami relatives, C. acutirostre has a large mouth as befitting its carnivorous nature. The spines of the dorsal fin are prominent.

The base coloration ranges from reddish-brown to golden yellow with many irregular spots and blotches of dark brown or black. The ventral color is light yellow to white. All fins except the pectoral fins and the tips of the dorsal, caudal and anal fins are colored. In this the Leopard Ctenopoma resembles the Leaf Fish of the Family Polycentridae. One of the darker spots at the base of the tail often forms an 'eye spot'. The pattern tends to fade in older individuals.

Breeding the Leopard Ctenopoma

To the undoubted joy of smaller aquarium fish, reports of captive breeding of Ctenopoma acutirostre are relatively rare. They are egg-scatterers and provide no parental care to the young.

Sexes are practically impossible to distinguish on the basis of body shape or coloration. Males have well-developed spines behind the eye and at the caudal base. These are less well-developed in females. Examination of these spines requires the use of a good magnifying glass.

Personal Experiences with Ctenopoma acutirostre

I first encountered this fascinating fish in the 1970s and have rarely seen it for sale since then. Only recently was I fortunate enough to find a tankful of small C. acutirostre for sale at a local fish store. I immediately purchased three of them.

Ctenopoma acutirostre is a relatively shy fish, only exhibiting aggression to others of its own kind. This usually takes the form of body wagging displays and occasionally head butts.

This fish prefers a heavily-planted aquarium and does not much appreciate robust or overly aggressive tank-mates. It is decidedly predatory in nature and smaller fish are not safe in a tank with the Leopard Ctenopoma. As previously mentioned, the mouth is quite large on this fish and it is capable of swallowing a fish up to 1/3 its own size. As long as its tank-mates are too large to be considered food, the Leopard Ctenopoma makes a fairly good community fish. I do not recommend that it be kept with overly aggressive types of cichlids, as it will not defend itself vigorously.

Tank size should be a minimum of 20 gallons for adult fish, though juveniles do very well in smaller aquariums. Plenty of hiding places should be provided.

Feeding the Leopard Ctenopoma is usually not difficult as they will take almost any kind of meaty food. I have had success with frozen bloodworms, appropriately-sized pieces of shrimp (fresh, frozen or freeze-dried), brine shrimp (live and frozen), pieces of earthworm, and the occasional small feeder fish. Flake food is generally ignored completely.

Care should be taken with these fish as they can and will jump out of the aquarium. Openings should be secured as much as is possible.

One interesting behavior that C. acutirostre shares with various Leaf Fish is that it seems to enjoy a good yawn every so often. It is then that the aquarist gains a full appreciation of the size of the mouth.

Summary

Ctenopoma acutirostre, the Leopard Ctenopoma, is an uncommonly encountered 'oddball' that makes an excellent community fish as long as its tank-mates are too large to be swallowed. It is an efficient hunter of smaller fish and exhibits very interesting behavior. I recommend it highly.

jwTXrNpwI9vt.jpg

Leo.JPG

cteopoma_leopard_b.jpg

Leo2.JPG

Leo3.JPG

Leo4.JPG

Untitled-TrueColor-01.jpg

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
what were the prices for 6? what they eating??? tankmates? tank size?
NICE ADDITION!:headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2 :drool:

big E

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
the French Part of Compton
These are really great fish! I have the same type as in your pictures, I am trying to make it grow, they are cool little hunters, with BIG mouths!

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
AquataHolic420;725912; said:
what were the prices for 6? what they eating??? tankmates? tank size?
NICE ADDITION!:headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2 :drool:
One was priced for 4 Ringgit Malaysia = 1.14104 USD. So it costed me 24 Ringgit Malaysia. I tried pellets, I am not sure if they are interested. Tried Cichlid Sticks, didn't seem to bother as well...I have just tried frozen bloodworms and they seem to eat it but not enthusiastically. Maybe they want livefood or still trying to adapt to their new environment..but they are doing with frozen bloodworm just fine in the time being.

I am just keeping them in a feet wide bowl since they are just about an inch in size. Soon I'll transfer as they can grow up to 15cm / 5.9 inches, although it is said that they would remain smaller in captivity, depends on space I would say. Tankmates, nothing smaller than them as they are predators and prefer livefood more than anything. They have pretty big mouth but I am yet to see them yawn. You can read the article below my post above, it would help.;)

I am thinking of changing them into a tank than having them in a bowl right away since it prevents me from seeing their beauty without the silly bowl view that enlarges the fish now and then.

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
big E;725927; said:
These are really great fish! I have the same type as in your pictures, I am trying to make it grow, they are cool little hunters, with BIG mouths!
Awesome, would be great if you could share some pictures. What do you feed them?

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
yeah i have one of these in with my senegal bichir.theyare pretty hard to come by. i have only seen them twice. on of the times i bought the fish.
expect more like 6-7inches out of them.
they're pretty immune to food-bourne illnesses, but that may just be because they don't catch many feeders. feed predominantly frozen food. mine LOVES bloodworms! they are pretty skinnny looking when young but fatten up pretty fast. that bit about them having HUGE mouths is no understatement, wait untill yours yawns.
they are anabantoids, so they pretty regularly come to the surface to breathe. umm..... i would keep them in a gravel tank w/ plenty of plants. mine really likes the floating ones in my tank. they're really passive unlike the article said. but i've never kept them with their own. are you putting them in one tank together?
but all in all one hell of a great fish

ps they do have the prettiest eyes that i have ever seen in a fish.
also to get the most out of your fish visually don't just walk up to your tank and stare at them. they'll get scared away and hide in their fav spot. either sit there for a solid ten minutes.
or leave the tank lights off but the room lights on and look at them from a few feet away. they can see you comming pretty far away. they're very aware of the world outside the tank.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Amazing fish. Love the colors. Aptly named.

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
They're ambush predators so give them plenty of places to hide. Put them in a planted tank, real or fake doesn't really matter, and sometimes they would just hide in them and just stay very still. I feed mine whatever I feed my other predators like cut up shrimp, fish fillets, worms, pellets, etc. The two that I bought at around 1" seem to have stopped growing or at least slowed down dramatically at around 3-4". I have another one that is closer to 5" but I think it has stopped growing also. I keep mine with bichirs and clown loaches. Later on when they associate you with food they will also come up to the front of the glass and sorta beg for food. They can get nippy with each other but they don't really do any damage at least the ones that I have don't.

ctenopoma1.1.jpg

ctenopoma2.1.jpg

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I had one for a little while. They are awesome little fish. If you give it some hiding places and dither fish, it'll come out more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store