Lepidolamprologus attentuatus/nkambae Tanganyikan Cichlids

Davizlancs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2022
Hi,
New to the forum, I have 2 Tang tanks with the largest being 8ft x 2ft x2ft, currently housing 2 x Trets, 4x Sexfas, 2 Comps and 3 Temp.sp shellies.
Yes! It’s an aggressive tank ant best of times!
id like to add in 1x pair each of both Lepidolamprologus attentuatus and Niambae/Kendali? Or a small group of Ctenochromis horei? Any advice on how my current inhabitants would fair with any of these new additions?
Feedback much appreciated
Thanks
Nathan

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

Davizlancs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2022
I have found Lepidiolamprologus (despite their menacing appearance) to be serene with most cichlids they can't eat.
Ctenochromis on the other hand are some of the most intolerant of other cichlids I have kept.
thanks, so Attenuatus should be ok, would a pair be best? What about Attenuatus with Nikambae?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I don't have experience with the other species, but as a genus, the ones I kept were hover and lurk predators that basically ignored other similar size cichlids.
I'm sure they would eliminate any fry that pop up in the tank tho.
When spawning they didn't;t tolerate any territorial usurpers.
I grew out the pairs juvies with Nosferatu bartoni (a Mexican cichlids)without a problem
When a little larger, they grew out more, in another tank with Ctenochromis. (although I don't remember the outcome)

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
L. nkambae / kendalli look tough but they don't play in the same league with the N. sexfasciatus and tretocephalus. But as long as they can find a suitable territory that is not claimed by the other I see no problems.
I am actually curious if and how 2 tretocephalus plus 4 sexfasciatus will work out when they are fully matured.

Davizlancs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2022
L. nkambae / kendalli look tough but they don't play in the same league with the N. sexfasciatus and tretocephalus. But as long as they can find a suitable territory that is not claimed by the other I see no problems.
I am actually curious if and how 2 tretocephalus plus 4 sexfasciatus will work out when they are fully matured.
Thanks a lot for your feedback, and yes, I try to balance aggression by having more youngsters of one species than the more mature from another, it worked well in the past when I had 2 fully grown sexfasc, and a group of 6 trets, when fully grown the sexfasc would stay in their separate caves, only coming out to feed, and the trets knew not to mess with them.
So are u saying that the Nikambae arnt as aggressive as the trets or sexfasc?

Reactions: Milingu

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
So are u saying that the Nikambae arnt as aggressive as the trets or sexfasc?
Yes, they are less aggressive. And normally they avoid too much direct confrontation.
Which sounds funny without the context because compared to some non Tanganyikan cichlids they are definitely aggressive.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I am curious too about how 2 trets work in the tank when they spawn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store