Let's try something new!

Xeno

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Germany
Hey,
it's been 14 years since I've got my first aquarium on Christmas 2003!
Now I am at 8 tanks (+4 that I put up when needed) and a volume of 2,300 litres.
The last 9 years I've been keeping angelfish so:
Let's broaden my horizon!
I will sell my current 12 angelfish and empty one of the tanks.
It's an 80gal 4ft by 20in by 20in.
I've never kept African cichlids... I know: What a shame to not have kept them within FOURTEEN years!
So let's get into it shall we?
Right now I imagine a tank with granite colored cobblestone, a shallow but warm LED light and a harem of firefish peacocks!

What do you think?
Is the tank large enough to house Aulonocara "firefish" hybrids?
Maybe even more than 1 male?!

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I think so. I would try at least 3 males if you want multiple males. 2 has a good chance of one being over dominant with the other, at least 3 would spread the aggression between them. It would also give the dominant male more of a reason to show off and look his best. Be ready to pull anyone that doesn't work out though. Possibly add a few albino firefish females too.

Xeno

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Germany
Hey,
yea that's true!
Pretty much everytime I've kept two pairs of cichlids one would dominate the other.
Even with peaceful species such as Cleithracara maronii.
I was thinking abou 1/3 to 1/6 but of course I am not sure about this since it would be the 1st time I'd be keeping cichlids from the lakes.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
3m/10f could work, you have the space. If you only want one male, still add as many females as you can. Over time you can weed out the ones that aren't thriving or doesn't look the best. Just make sure filtration and watch changes cover the bioload you have. If you have the space and interest, line breeding them to get certain characteristics could be fun, firefish colors and shapes can very alot. Over the years I've had some dark red, pink, peacock shaped, and some shaped like mbuna.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
If you let the males grow up together. It works better than mixing up adult fish. Line of sight breaks work well also.

I have some pairs of dragons blood, fire fish lines. It just really depends on the fish. Some females can be overly aggressive to other fish.

I do like the girls to be bigger than the boys.

Xeno

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Germany
Hey,
Two days ago I checked out my lfs to get a heater.
Long story short:
I spotted a short body albino ob peacock female and bought it as well as 1/1 firefish.
IMG_20171227_201334_612.jpg
And here's a shot of the tank.
Used 75kilos of black cobblestone for the scape.
20171228_221640.jpg

Reactions: markstrimaran

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Love the cobblestone, and the Pothos!! Nice setup :) A tank like that (dark) would look exceptional with a huge group of yellow type peacocks such as Usisya flavescent, mbamba bay, maleri's or bengas!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store