Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Light too hot broke tank

Discussion in 'Lessons Learned' started by gorak, Feb 20, 2017.

1. gorak

gorak MFK Members

Wednesday at 8:58 PM
      I had clamp on light for misc stuff. It is the cheap one with the crome shade from Menards. I have a 75w bulb in it. I had been using it to light some tanks. I set it on my 180gal oceanic. I didnt think nothing of it. Then about a month ago I notice that my glass top was cracked from the heat of the lamp. Then tonight I notice that the center brace was cracked all the way through!!

I have made a 2x4 temp brace until I figure out what I am going to do with the broke brace. Thinking I am going to order another piece of 1/2" glass and replace the one that is there.

There has been no bowing and no chamge to the tank that can be seen from the outside but the tank has been basically without a center brace for a month.

Lesson to take from this is be careful of what lights you put on tanks. Remember they can get really hot. I got lucky this far and nothing broke.

GamerChick5567 likes this.
    2. Kittiee Katt

Kittiee Katt MFK Members

Ebbi
      Oct 29, 2017
      You're very lucky nothing else broke! 180gal of water on the floor wouldn't end well...

3. GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567 MFK Members

Marissa
      Today at 9:34 AM
      Yeah I know what you mean about the heat. Recently I added a cheap 15 watt led floodlight off amazon to grow a lot of algae and pothos in my convict breeding tank. Accidentally touched the metal casing... Ow! Felt like bumping the toaster oven. Been worried about what will happen if the screw holding it to the tank canopy breaks. It would land on the acryllic lid and probably melt it hahahaha poor convicts. At least it was less than 15 bucks.

4. gorak

gorak MFK Members

Wednesday at 8:58 PM
      Yeah that is for sure!

5. pelleeklund

pelleeklund MFK Members

Sunday at 10:59 PM
      I broke a section on my glass canopy doing something similar. Luckily mine wasn't structural. I did get to hear it break and see it fall into the tank though. I thought a 200 gallon tidal wave was coming my way when I heard the crack. Scared me enough to do my research on the heat each light gives off.

6. fishnatics

fishnatics MFK Members

Today at 11:45 AM
      Both my tops were cracked by my light getting too hot also. I run a full 72" light strip with 2 bulbs and when I had it sitting on the tops I noticed it cracked so now I have it raised up about an inch. Since then my other top hasn't cracked.

7. Dieselhybrid

Dieselhybrid MFK Members

Saturday at 9:04 PM
      This could have ended way worse. I build a lot of acrylic tanks for saltwater folks and I always have to tell them over and over don't put a hot light over acrylic, plastic, or glass. especially since cool water can splash up and touch warm glass/plastic and cause failures. Happens the most with metal halide bulbs. seeing it less with LED's becoming so popular and their limited heat output

8. Sallimsayin

Sallimsayin MFK Members

Jun 14, 2017
      I'm sorry to hear this. That's why I love my 9w (75w equiv) LEDS. I have the same type of fixtures and after 10 hours they're cool enough to unscrew with your hand.