lighting for a 10g tank

Nate77

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2006
Manheim PA
I bought one of the same kits just for the purpose of trying plants did nothing special left it stock and plants are doing great.

terrypowerz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2006
Westfield, IN
As long as there is enough room for the ballast (the fat section) of those bulbs, and there should be... I would have to think they would be much better than regular incandescents.
Much less red which has been mentioned to promote algea growth...along with higher lumens and a better balanced spectrum (more blue).
I would say you would have a good chance of having success with low to medium light plants!
;)

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I was thinking about this also, I have an Incandescent hood, I am going to look into it.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
If you have room for the twist florescents yes, however they need to be the 6500K bulbs, the common ones are not to great for plants. I believe they sell them as a natural white bulb. Depending on the wattage, these bulbs may be able to do medium, or even high wattage plants.

dan the moose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
the T dot
www.myspace.com
hows it going, i have the 10g kit from walmart, it was my starter kit, and ive since planted it with incandesence bulbs, and was fine with almost any low-medium plant i put in, even jungle val did well if it was not covered by something. i have decided to up the wattage, and go with heavey plants, so i bought a 25 watt 50/50 bulb from work (big als aquarium service) tried to put it in, guess what, didnt fit, the ballast was too big.

SO, i decided to rip out the rubber part that prevents water from going into the fixture, and it fit perfectly, all i did was put a peice ov pvc pipe (half a peice) over the socket part with some tape to prevent water from going in. the tank is working great, and i only have one builb in there for now (i actually blew the other side before i replaced the bulbs) i even know some one who has done this and kept coral.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store