lighting for tank....pics?

Beansray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
Seminole
I'm trying to find the right fluorescent lighting for my tank, nut I know nothing about lighting. If anyone could show me a picture of your tank and tell me what type of light thatd be great.

Thanks-
Dillon

p.s.- :confused: not sure if this is the right forum, feel free to move

lemcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
240g with 40watts of 8000k
below is same tank with 500watts of 6500k

mini-DSCN0664.JPG

mini-DSCN2581.JPG

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
It depends on what look you like. Some wavelengths are more warm/orange while some are on the cool/blue end. I like the look of a black tank with a higher wavelength bulb.

Also its hard to tell from pics, because the auto white balances are different on different cameras, and some people manually set their white balance to acheive the look they want.

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
Personally I prefer the lighting to be as close to the natural light as possible. Try to stay away from the Cool (blue) whites and go more warm (orange/yellow) whites. I have seen quite a few that just don't look quite right with the cooler colours.

fish head )'>

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
S.E. Michigan
two 36" bulbs spaning the 6' tank in the front and one double 4' fixture with various sectrum 18,000k bulbs (3 different kind, 2 differant brands) Notice how the back, top corners are dim, due to the 4 foot fixture. it is okay because it somewhat hides the the overflows and returns.

100_7150.JPG

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
I ussually just use what comes with the tank. When those burn out, I am to cheap to buy new bulbs so I just use regular tubes we use for the house. Plus they are really dim compared to regular fish tank lights, and that is how my rays like it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store