Lighting help!!!!

ZunigaMomma

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2018
ok guys we have a 65 tall it’s about 24-25 inches tall what’s the best light for a plants?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
For plants please stay away from REEF lights as they are formulated for optimal coral growth and better viewing of corals and saltwater fish...

There is a brand i’ve been hearing good things about called SB Reef Light, just make sure to pick the freshwater option of the light although i dont think they are all that cheap...

Guiesemann i think is another really good brand of lighting but it will also break the bank quite easily... then again im almost sure they are german built so should be better quality in theory...

Chorios / Twinstar? is another brand on the market that has a setup similar to the ADA one i think... with th bonus it doesnt cost an arm and a leg compared to the official ADA one...

For a high tech option there is a lesser known brand called Zetlight, they have quite a few options of LED with programable options and Wifi units that can be added for control from your phone...

To be fair though, at the end of the day there are a lot of options for planted tank LED’s, so really depends on your budget and the type of plants you’re aiming to grow...

Just dont rush and really research what you want for best reults...

Last edited:

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
For plants please stay away from REEF lights as they are formulated for optimal coral growth and better viewing of corals and saltwater fish...

There is a brand i’ve been hearing good things about called SB Reef Light, just make sure to pick the freshwater option of the light although i dont think they are all that cheap...

Guiesemann i think is another really good brand of lighting but it will also break the bank quite easily... then again im almost sure they are german built so should be better quality in theory...

Chorios / Twinstar? is another brand on the market that has a setup similar to the ADA one i think... with th bonus it doesnt cost an arm and a leg compared to the official ADA one...

For a high tech option there is a lesser known brand called Zetlight, they have quite a few options of LED with programable options and Wifi units that can be added for control from your phone...

To be fair though, at the end of the day there are a lot of options for planted tank LED’s, so really depends on your budget and the type of plants you’re aiming to grow...

Just dont rush and really research what you want for best reults...
The plantspert has spoken!
Take heed!
Horah!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
The plantspert has spoken!
Take heed!
Horah!
Lol, far from it... just another planted tanker constantly working on the learning curve...

And with so many LED’s coming out each year it gets hard to keep up sometimes...

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

JohnnyHyde

Exodon
MFK Member
May 27, 2018
About lightning: go for LEDs that are made for plants or if you don't want to spend money - go for flood lights. The main thing to look at - kelvin and lumens. For plants you want something like cool white (6000-7000K) light and enough lumens. How much lumens you need depends on plants you want to keep.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
hello; I have been using a 4 foot LED shop light on my 55 gallon planted tank for over a year now. It cost o more than $35. A 55 is just 4 feet long so it fits.
I had the lids already which had 18 inch fluorescent tubes. These worked well also but the bulbs needed replacement fairly often.
As johnnyhyde stated look for lumens and I also like the light in the 5000 + K range.Aquarium Jan 18 011.JPG

Hello; I think this picture was taken when the 55 had LED screw in bulbs. I had taken the 18 inch fluorescent tube's guts out and replaced them with standard screw in bulb bases. The screw in LED bulbs work just fine and there are now a variety of LED bulbs to choose from.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store