Lighting, how much how long??

Afcichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2015
The tank is a 48x24x30 150g with a 55 sump and UV light canister. It has 180 lb of live rock most up top some in SUMP. The light was being held up by salad dressing bowls (he was a chief as well) on a warped piece of acrylic (I'm assuming warped by the heat of the bulbs). Anyway I paid a friend to build a canopy for this thing to sit on top of. Going to get it 8 inches from the water to help keep the heat from the water and might even add PC case fans to the side of the canopy (I'm a computer geek so I can wire that up).

Now the question is light. How long to leave it on? What bulbs to run at night and what to run in the day? The light I got from him was massive. 4 t5 on each side 2 halogen and 5 large blue LED. Its a ADV plus series Metal Halide Model MHADVP-48 config MH250 / T5HO. It works but this thing puts off a ton of heat.

Either way I want be sure I am not giving the coral too much light and have no damn clue if I should just run the blue LED at night. The T5 give off a blue glow too they aren't giving off white light the halogens of course is where the real light comes in. I don't want to over power the tank with light and I also don't want to rob the tank of light and how long to use the light. I have a hammer coral, rose bubble tip anemone, some kind of frog spawn, and other very small coral frags I got dirt cheap at my pretentious LFS.

I did dip and was going to put it in a QT tank but my LFS told me that QT for coral was not needed just dip and add. I will say I call them the pretentious LFS because everything they have is really top end stuff and fish I have gotten there through the years have all been really awesome quality nice fish. Thoughts on putting corals in a QT tank or just dip and go?

So again QT new coral? How long for lights on and what lights to run at what time with my current light?

Also I am tech geek and have 3 kids who have no clue what a light switch is let along how to use one so I was looking at the Radion LED but after 45 mins of reading I still couldn't figure out what damn light I needed and how many so if someone has a suggestion a nice LED that will work so I don't have to use my current 6 switch space heater I am all ears on that. I got this tank cheap enough I have no issue putting some $ in the right lights.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
guess first question is what is the lighting for? if planted tank then lotsa folks here can help you.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
ohh,my mistake, my apologies, hopefully you get some one that knows salt/marine answering soon. good luck!!!

Westie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
Bay Area CA USA
I have a 100g reef. I use MH175w for 6 hours a day. More than 6 I get algae blooms. I have a blue T5 that comes on an hour before and stays on an hour after to simulate the sun rising and falling. I made a 12" tall wood hood that has metal flashing for reflection of light and a fan at either side for cooling. In your case I'd probably go with 250w MH.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store