Lighting recommendations for Amazon Swords

Sonofthunder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
Alaska
I have a 125 gallon tall measuring 60” long, 24” tall, 18” deep. It is currently lit by a 60” Beamswork EA LED strip, provides sufficient general lighting for the whole tank. However, I’m trying to grow one or two large Amazon Swords in specific spots, and they seem to need more light than this unit can provide. Rather than buying a new strip to run the whole length of the tank, I’m interested in some sort of spotlight that I could position directly above the swords. What would you recommend? Would the HIRO WRGB (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZRZQ4BL/) suit this purpose, or is there something else I ought to consider? BFB17202-0A21-49A6-9D63-1A442B129B4C.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 125 gallon tall measuring 60” long, 24” tall, 18” deep. It is currently lit by a 60” Beamswork EA LED strip, provides sufficient general lighting for the whole tank. However, I’m trying to grow one or two large Amazon Swords in specific spots, and they seem to need more light than this unit can provide. Rather than buying a new strip to run the whole length of the tank, I’m interested in some sort of spotlight that I could position directly above the swords. What would you recommend? Would the HIRO WRGB (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZRZQ4BL/) suit this purpose, or is there something else I ought to consider? View attachment 1430903
twentyleagues twentyleagues
kno4te kno4te

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I think your amazon sword will grow with that beanswork led light. The light should be fine and I’d suggest adding root tabs under the roots. It’s a heavy root feeder. Try and see if it doesn’t satisfy then below.

But if you want to go with a spot light then I’d suggest a kessil. Works well for planted tanks. Don’t know of other off label brands as kessils are costly. Aim for 6500k-7000k for the light.

Sonofthunder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
Alaska
I think your amazon sword will grow with that beanswork led light. The light should be fine and I’d suggest adding root tabs under the roots. It’s a heavy root feeder. Try and see if it doesn’t satisfy then below.

But if you want to go with a spot light then I’d suggest a kessil. Works well for planted tanks. Don’t know of other off label brands as kessils are costly. Aim for 6500k-7000k for the light.
Thanks, I’ve had several swords in the tank for about six months now. They seem to have put down their roots but they’re definitely not flourishing. They’re very short and leaves are light green to yellowish. I was thinking more light might be needed, but have not tried root tabs. I was concerned that my geos would dig them up and possibly eat them. I have tried adding seachem flourish to the water but I didn’t notice any difference so I stopped adding it.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks, I’ve had several swords in the tank for about six months now. They seem to have put down their roots but they’re definitely not flourishing. They’re very short and leaves are light green to yellowish. I was thinking more light might be needed, but have not tried root tabs. I was concerned that my geos would dig them up and possibly eat them. I have tried adding seachem flourish to the water but I didn’t notice any difference so I stopped adding it.
The geos will cause some issues due to their behavior for sure. I’d suggest using 2 root tabs under the roots directly. Hope the Geos leave it alone and see some growth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store