Lighting recommendations

Sonofthunder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
Alaska
I’m setting up a new tank measuring 2’ deep, 6’ long, and 18” front to back. I’m interested in planting some basic plants like Anubias, amazon swords, or java ferns. Last time I did a planted tank everything seemed to be based on the watts per gallon rule and I went with a t5 fixture. Seems things have come a long way since then with all the LED options and I’m wondering what to look for. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive fixture that would provide good growth to these kinds of plants in 2’ of water? Rather than a new fixture to run the whole length of the tank (which would seem to be more expensive) would there be a good spotlight type fixture that I could hang over the planted areas?

Sonofthunder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
Alaska
Search LED floodlights. A few members were using these.
Thanks, I like the idea of these LED floodlights. Any guidelines on wattage required for Amazon swords? I can get two 60 watt lights for $33 right now but would that be overkill? Also, would I want warm white or daylight?

Here are the lights I am looking at:
Onforu 2 Pack 60W LED Flood Light, 6000lm Super Bright Security Lights, 5000K Daylight White, IP65 Waterproof Outdoor Landscape Floodlight for Yard, Garden, Playground, Party https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNN52FW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J7OjDb1YPHF6R

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
Daylights, 6000K and above. 60W is ok. You can adjust the mounting height to control the spread and intensity. Can't comment on the plant growth though. I've used them before on a tank but only grew Java fern.

Sonofthunder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
Alaska
I have switched to potting soil with a gravel cap.... my plants LOVE it! Just a regular light and no CO2 or seachem. Dirt isn't for everyone through... many people get frustrated with the mess.
This is going to be a geophagus tank, so I think they’d mix up the substrate too much.

Reactions: twentyleagues

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I use LED flood lamps but keep in mind that the color spectrum is a warm yellowish white. Not ideal to grow plants. You can grow them, but it wouldn’t look right. They work better for a blackwater or stained water type look. I use them for my non planted tanks.

I just got some aqua illumination Prime HD’s and love them. You would need three of them for your tank. Matter of fact, for all pendent LED’s, you’re looking at a 24” spread.

I have Halos too and love them. I have three up high in my 600 and it covers the whole tank since I mounted them high. They are priced than the Aqua Illuminations but I feel they are a better light.

Lastly, Kessil Tuna Sun is a nice pendent. Again, you’ll need three and they are pricey.

If you don’t mind strip LED lights, you can get away with 2-4 36” Finnex Planted light. That should work fine for your plant choice. I would recommend having four. Two in each side. You’ll get better light intensity that way.

Reactions: islandguy11

Thacarter54632

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2019
You could try par30 led grow lights. You can get them in about any spectrum or brightness. Make sure to mix in a standard light of some sort so that you can see what is in your tank. The grow lights are red and blue. Has worked well on smaller tanks for me.

My personal preference would be 2 6 foot shoplights with daylight retrofit bulbs. My 2 shoplights have been the most reliable lighting fixture I've used to date.

The finnex planted plus fixture lasted about 3 years before growth fell off, and a year later was audible across the room. Would get again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store