Live edge tank stand design?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Hey guys got some Qs for all you structural engineers out there.

Putting together a 6 foot stand for a reclaimed 150. I have all of the materials already: two stripped and dried stumps from the split of a large cedar tree, a slab of live edge cherry 20-22" width cut to 75" long, and 4x4 pressure treated pine beams. I have two options for my design and wanted to get some educated opinions.

Option A: the two trunks will be notched and adjoined by the beam, secured by 6" lag bolts, sanded level, and the slab placed on top. Trunks will be centered about 10" from each end.

Option B: the same as option A, but i have a third piece of cedar that i will have to cut and notch to place dead center of the stand.

Here is an amateur sketch. Please excuse my craptacular drawing skills:20180715_110840.jpg

So basically what im asking is if the middle stump is necessary to support the 1500-2000 lbs that will rest on top or will the beam connecting two stumps be enough? I would much rather go with option A for aesthetics but definitely want it to support the weight.

Thanks for any and all advice!

slipshodman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Australia
I am not an engineer but i think option A will be plenty to hold the weight particularly with the think slab across the stumps, the stumps wont bend/break, its only if there is flex in the slab but by the width i would think not

It will look sweet

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I am not an engineer but i think option A will be plenty to hold the weight particularly with the think slab across the stumps, the stumps wont bend/break, its only if there is flex in the slab but by the width i would think not

It will look sweet
Excellent! A vote of confidence. I was actually only putting the beam in because the slab is relatively thin compared to what i usually work with. Never worked with cherry before but it seems pretty dense and strong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store