Live rock help!

mobyfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2017
Help! This 75 lbs of live rock came along with a tank I bought about a month ago. From the beginning I haven't wanted to use it because of the risks associated with using rock from a strangers tank. So I tried to sell it to put the money towards a fresh set of dry rock but without any luck I can't justify buying more rock when I have a bucket full of it sitting in my garage. It has been out of water for about a month drying out in my garage. But I wouldn't want to use it unless its completely clean. But, I also really don't feel comfortable having tubs of muriatic acid laying around the house with family and pets around. I need some ideas!

IMG_3722.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
So are you trying to sanitize the live rock for use or just kill it?

mobyfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2017
I'm more interested in killing it so I could start completely fresh

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Well regardless, bleach. It kills all the critters.

Acid Eats rock. Bleach eats organics.

2-3 cups of bleach in 5 gallons of water. Soak 24 hours.

Then soak in Distilled or RO water with a large dose of your favorite dechlorination soloution

Rinse until your comfortable, air dry for a few days after.

mobyfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2017
Thanks! I've heard of this method before but have also heard some stuff might grow back when using just the bleach.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Thanks! I've heard of this method before but have also heard some stuff might grow back when using just the bleach.
Anything is possible. I've had success with it in the past. But not much can survive a bleach bath.

But take everything with a grain of common sense and adapt to your situation and your comfort level.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Bleach will kill anything in or on the rock. Pest anenomes, algae, bugs, worms, coral, bacteria, whatever you are afraid/worried about. I've bought so many people's tanks and live rock in the past and have doNE the same thing never had a problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store