Livening up a 90g tank

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Hello,
I want to try and liven up my 90g wide tank. It’s 24” wide and 18” tall. It is planted, but not heavily planted. It has a Senegal Bichir, P. Mokelembembe, P. Palmas, and Delhezi Bichir. I don’t want to increase water changes (once a week), so maybe a single large fish? What ideas do you have?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
I should add I’m fine with changing lots of water, I just don’t want to do it frequently. What options are there? Preferably no cichlids, but anything helps.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Red tail shark? Just keep in mind to get it at a large size/grow it out first, though. and it will require some current in a portion of the tank plus well oxygenated water.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
I would rather keep a fish without having to change anything, as I don’t want to mess up. Would a Hujeta Gar or Striped Pike Characin be ok? Any other gar or Characin that doesn’t reach over 16”, but is larger than 12”?

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I think a school of fish would "liven up" the tank more than a single specimen. It will just add more movement and colour.
No idea what you could keep with Bichirs though, maybe a larger tetra species?
Red tail sharks are cool but can be nasty, i just rehoused mine yesterday as he was getting way too aggressive. He looked great and was 12cm long but was causing too much havoc so keep that in mind if you are considering one of them.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
I think a school of fish would "liven up" the tank more than a single specimen. It will just add more movement and colour.
No idea what you could keep with Bichirs though, maybe a larger tetra species?
Red tail sharks are cool but can be nasty, i just rehoused mine yesterday as he was getting way too aggressive. He looked great and was 12cm long but was causing too much havoc so keep that in mind if you are considering one of them.
I’m all ears for large tetras. I’ve tried congos and they did not work out. Tetras are also hard to find when large. Maybe a single large fish? That’s easiest to find in my opinion.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Geophagus are bottom dwellers and would have to share the bottom with the bichirs. Plus I already have Gymnogeophagus.
Could a species of piranha work? Maybe 2-3 of them?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
Honestly I think you're overstocked for a 90 gallon without adding a 12"+ fish. Even the birchirs should be in nothing less than a 125.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store