Lizards at Fish Story

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
When I was a kid I wanted a green amevia very badly. For my birthday one year I asked for two, and the place we ordered them from called and said "We have several but they are all missing their tails and some toes do you still want us to send two?" which of course horrified me as a child so I lost interest in them permanently.

I'm sure they were being kept in a large group in a small space, but this species must be pretty viscous towards each other to eat the toes off one another.

Still a very beautiful animal for sure, kind of underappreciated too you don't see many people keeping them despite them being cheap and available.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
When I was a kid I wanted a green amevia very badly. For my birthday one year I asked for two, and the place we ordered them from called and said "We have several but they are all missing their tails and some toes do you still want us to send two?" which of course horrified me as a child so I lost interest in them permanently.

I'm sure they were being kept in a large group in a small space, but this species must be pretty viscous towards each other to eat the toes off one another.

Still a very beautiful animal for sure, kind of underappreciated too you don't see many people keeping them despite them being cheap and available.
Let me guess, it was backwater reptiles? But there’s many reasons they can lose toes, one of the main reasons is shedding issues that lead to poor circulation and the toes dying and falling off, usually from incorrect humidity. They’re beautiful display animals, not so great for handling and they’re terrestrial and fast and very active, so a lot of floor space is needed

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Can't easily watch these videos...rural Manitoba internet, don'tcha know :)...but just looking at the pics really brings home the sad truth about Florida's environment. All these pics...and not one of them is a native species, all feral/introduced/invasive. :(

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Can't easily watch these videos...rural Manitoba internet, don'tcha know :)...but just looking at the pics really brings home the sad truth about Florida's environment. All these pics...and not one of them is a native species, all feral/introduced/invasive. :(
I think it’s time to accept that Florida is now Jurassic Park, stop fighting it and embrace the horror

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Some amazing lizards you’ve got there…even if they are all invasive.
I would love a basilisk someday, easily one of the most beautiful lizards out there.
I guess I’ll stick with the fat brown blob (crested gecko), giant day gecko, and green anole (who always looks like he wants to kill me) for now.

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Let me guess, it was backwater reptiles? But there’s many reasons they can lose toes, one of the main reasons is shedding issues that lead to poor circulation and the toes dying and falling off, usually from incorrect humidity. They’re beautiful display animals, not so great for handling and they’re terrestrial and fast and very active, so a lot of floor space is needed

I think it was called Reptile city. The one that is sister companies with "haha reptiles" if I recall.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store