LMB tail rot

dluke24

Feeder Fish
May 14, 2020
Hey all, this is my first post and I don’t have a lot of experience. Kinda learning as I go. I have a 100 gallon tank home to a 6-8 largemouth. Recently it just started to get white in his tail fin and couple spots to rot away. I did a ph test according to the chart is about a 7.5. It eats well and is very active. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

0EC75C28-8884-4644-9E8A-A8F6D431B6CA.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Don’t think it’s too bad. Looks like beginning of fin rot. Could be from stress. I’d check ur water quality and keep the water pristine. Meaning ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate less than 40ppm. When the fish are sick then less than 20ppm. Get a liquid test kit if u don’t have one yet. If it’s bad water then water changes twice a week should fix it with salt 1 tsp per g. If still not better then consider tetracycline, furan, triple sulfa, neosporin, and hydrogen peroxide on a qtip.

Welcome to the forum.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Don’t think it’s too bad. Looks like beginning of fin rot. Could be from stress. I’d check ur water quality and keep the water pristine. Meaning ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate less than 40ppm. When the fish are sick then less than 20ppm. Get a liquid test kit if u don’t have one yet. If it’s bad water then water changes twice a week should fix it with salt 1 tsp per g. If still not better then consider tetracycline, furan, triple sulfa, neosporin, and hydrogen peroxide on a qtip.

Welcome to the forum.
I second the salt addition.

Reactions: kno4te

dluke24

Feeder Fish
May 14, 2020
Tha

Welcome to the forum.
thank you! I will pick up a liquid test kit tomorrow and do another water change

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store