Long horn cow box fish?

Bbuckley

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2021
Untied Kingdom
Hi all ?.

I'm coming over to the darkside?(I've got to convince the boss ?)

I've got 20 years fish keeping experience but only fresh water.

My dream fish on the saltwater side of things is and has always been the long horn box cow fish. I always get excited when I see one ?.

So basically what dose it take to keep one of these? I'll more than likely keep it as a solo fish. I want him as show piece.

Any and all advice please, hoping someone may have some first hand experience.

images.jpeg

New-Project-2.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all ?.

My dream fish on the saltwater side of things is and has always been the long horn box cow fish. I always get excited when I see one ?.

So basically what dose it take to keep one of these? I'll more than likely keep it as a solo fish. I want him as show piece.

View attachment 1462826

View attachment 1462827
The only experience I have with the Cowfish is my Mother had one and it was eating frozen brine shrimp until a anemone caught it. Unfortunately didn't do research at the time.

• Wow
Reactions: tom01

SalviniCichlidFan

Dovii
MFK Member
May 30, 2021
www.andrew-li.org
Hi all ?.

View attachment 1462826

View attachment 1462827
I heard they release a poisonous toxin when stressed so it it likely an expert level fish

Reactions: tlindsey

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Work well in reef aquariums. I'm not sure about toxins. I had one in a clients reef. There were clowns, yellow tang, fire angel, pair of peppermint hawks and goby. Definitely, an awesome fish to keep.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Care is probably similar to other boxfish/cowfish. All I can say is do not stress it. They do release toxins in a what they perceive to be life or death (like puffing up for puffers) and can poison the other fish and itself.
Not easy to find either. I’ve only ever seen one in a store before.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Like others, do not stress out. I remember this YouTuber - Taylor Nicole Dean - she had one in a 150 reef tank with tangs and other things. Should check out the channel for information. She named him Cheese.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store