Long Tail Shovelnose Catfish (Platysilurus mucosus) not eating, seeking help

jimoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Providence, RI
Ok, so this critter has been through a lot. I acquired two Platysilurus mucosus, roughl 4" each. They adapted to my planted 60 gallon well along with 3 L259s and quickly started feeding on frozen bloodworms, and then hikari carnivore pellets.

Initial problem: I get home friday night from work and realize my 60 gallon has failed. Water seeping up from the bottom trim onto the floor. Only lost an inch or so by this time. Call to find a replacement, can't do it, but found a 40 breeder with same footprint. Catch and transfer these fish to a 55 community with 2 L244s, a bunch of corys and small tetras. Bagged and let them sit, bit it wasn't an easy process. Then introduced them slowly as I drained the 60. Go get 40, set up, but with new water and a canister filter on the 40 that hasn't been running, I don't want to move these shovelnose again, so I move the tetras, or most, so they don't become chow.

All seems to be well. Seems like everyone is feeding. I don't like having the L244s and L259s together, but not feeling good about moving them, but I don't see much overt aggression.

Come home a week later, all L259s dead, same day. Ugh. Not so surprised about them dying, I understand they're sensitive and I doubled the bioload of that 55 overnight, but all dying the same day?

Next couple of days I notice one of the shovelnose has a few spots of fungus. Hoped it would cure up and just a mild abrasion from being moved. It didn't. Got slightly worse. Started acting funning, not really settling and then swimming, just hovering and moving constantly. No longer feeding. Purchased maracyn and treated at half dose (sadly I just moved to this condo, still have work to do and don't have a hospital tank) the entire 55. 20% water changes each day.

The good news is the fungus cleared up. Seems fungus free. The bad news is that it is still swimming in that not right way, non stop, and not feeding. I step upped and twice bought a dozen ghost shrimp, and once live brine, and tried those hoping it my spur something. But while I can't see if it ate anything after lights out, it seems to be wasting away. The other shovelnose is just fine.

Ph 6.0
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate somewhere between 5.0 and 10.0

Any thoughts? I kind of feel like its a goner, but, if there is a chance for me to do something...

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Maybe a combo of shock and nitrite/nitrate poisoning.

Could add some salt to the tank, tsp per gallon. Dim lights and cross ur fingers. Keep the water clean.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
MB would help this but the fish is too shocked and probably won't handle that.

The corys should handle that dose of salt but never hurts to remove the corys.

Hope it recovers best of luck.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I'm no expert so I can't say for sure: I can only give you my personal experience. IMPE when a fish swims non stop it often times means there is something wrong with their swim bladder. They swim to try and prevent being turned over upside down or from rising too high in the water column or falling to the substrate by the imbalance.

And IME a swimbladder imbalance can occur when being moved from two very different water parameters. So like kno4te, I agree the issue is probably shock related. Adding salt as kno4te said may help alleviate any osmoregulatory stress that maybe compounding the issue.

I personally would also lower the water level though as much as possible. I had heard and have had success fixing issues where a fish was flipping or floating by decreasing the water level though I also always have a hospital tank in which to do it in. I know lowering the water level decreases the pressure on the fish's body, how that helps alleviate a swimbladder issue though I don't know. I just know it's worked for me. I'd also use something for the fungus just incase it still has a hold where you can't see. I'd go with something relatively easy on the fish like one of Kordons products.

I wish I could help more but my experience with such an issue is very limited.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Reactions: jimoo

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I'm no expert so I can't say for sure: I can only give you my personal experience. IMPE when a fish swims non stop it often times means there is something wrong with their swim bladder. They swim to try and prevent being turned over upside down or from rising too high in the water column or falling to the substrate by the imbalance.

And IME a swimbladder imbalance can occur when being moved from two very different water parameters. So like kno4te, I agree the issue is probably shock related. Adding salt as kno4te said may help alleviate any osmoregulatory stress that maybe compounding the issue.

I personally would also lower the water level though as much as possible. I had heard and have had success fixing issues where a fish was flipping or floating by decreasing the water level though I also always have a hospital tank in which to do it in. I know lowering the water level decreases the pressure on the fish's body, how that helps alleviate a swimbladder issue though I don't know. I just know it's worked for me. I'd also use something for the fungus just incase it still has a hold where you can't see. I'd go with something relatively easy on the fish like one of Kordons products.

I wish I could help more but my experience with such an issue is very limited.
koltsixx koltsixx is right post some pics. Could be swim bladder then will take some time if it lives.

jimoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Providence, RI
Thanks, I've removed about a third of the water. Will look for a general Korden med tomorrow, and try to find more ghost shrimp. I added some pics. 20170809_200011.jpg 20170809_200229.jpg 20170809_200647.jpg

Reactions: justarn

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Doesn't look too bad. Would hold of on meds unless there's an obvious infection. Methylene blue can wait if it recovers cause it's a dip and may stress the fish.

Time and patience maybe needed for now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store