Long Tail Shovelnose Catfish (Platysilurus mucosus) not eating, seeking help

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
?Would the salt have a negative impact on the L244 plecos? Should I definitely remove those?
It's mixed with replies about plecos and corys and salt. I've used salt with both types of fish and no issues. The best is to watch the fish and if anything Finny occurs then do a quick water change.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
?Would the salt have a negative impact on the L244 plecos? Should I definitely remove those?
It's mixed with replies about plecos and corys and salt. I've used salt with both types of fish and no issues. The best is to watch the fish and if anything occurs then do a quick water change.

jimoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Providence, RI
Ok, thanks. Maybe I'll get a 10 gallon this weekend and start a sponge filter cycling or something in case I need to get more drastic.

It's just such a cool fish. Thank you for the advice.

jimoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Providence, RI
I wanted to provide an update.

I reduced volume by 50% at the advice of forum members, but it still didn't eat. I left last Thursday night (so over a week since I posted) and it hadn't eaten. I returned today, very emaciated, but alive, and seemingly more at east.

I introduced bloodworms (FT) and it ravenously attacked them. So, not out of the woods since it is so very thin, but clearly a very good sign. Thank you all.

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I'm sorry to hear he's looking so emaciated but glad to hear that my advice helped at least a little and that he's finally eating. How's his swimming? Still odd and non-stop or does he seem to be alright now with that as well?

jimoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Providence, RI
I'm sorry to hear he's looking so emaciated but glad to hear that my advice helped at least a little and that he's finally eating. How's his swimming? Still odd and non-stop or does he seem to be alright now with that as well?
In between, not as a relaxed as the fully healthy one, not close... but it does stop from time to time... hopefully that is not due to fatigue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store