Long time lurker looking for inspiration 260G tank 72" L x 24" W x 36" H

kyleallen22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2021
Houston, TX
The little test kit I have labels 60-140 as hard; just my newbieness showing lol. I will test a few times over the next few weeks to try and get a good average and be sure, from your reply as long as I am under 200ppm I'm probably ok though?

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

kyleallen22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2021
Houston, TX
Well then, you do not have hard water. You have soft water, perfect for Oscars and Chocolates. You probably have a PH above 7.0 if you thought that you had hard water.

The only other issue is the oscar and chocolates fighting since they have the same body type and occupy the same space in the water column. Geophagus tend to eat from the bottom, so it's best they do not have competition from a catfish

Oscar/Chocolate
Angelfish
Featherfin/Pimelodus ornatus/Geophagus abalios/Geophagus winemilleri (both geos are commonly mislabeled as Surinamensis)
Would you be concerned about the angelfish getting picked on by the oscar? I really like the look of the wild peruvian angels.

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
KATALEKEEPER KATALEKEEPER Bull heads dont really live in mountain streams I fish for them in a dirty drainage age pond beside my house were all the lawn chemicals and stuff run into I have pulled several out that have mutations I have never caught any in clear water actually only murky silty waterbodys
no the sculpins.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
The little test kit I have labels 60-140 as hard; just my newbieness showing lol. I will test a few times over the next few weeks to try and get a good average and be sure, from your reply as long as I am under 200ppm I'm probably ok though?
Hmmm, what test are you using? Strips? Brand name, seems kinda of odd that the GH reading of 140ppm is considered hard.

Would you be concerned about the angelfish getting picked on by the oscar? I really like the look of the wild peruvian angels.
It's possible, and it sounds like you want the peruvian angels to be your center piece. I would just do angels as your cichlids, and pick some geophagus that would eat from the bottom of the substrate. Maybe a harem of 6-8 red head tapajos geophagus.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
What about Altum Angels? They are beautiful. Add a giant spider wood piece, and sand substrate. You can also add a featherfin squeaker, if you are fond of them. You can also add rams. Check out the video below.
Video result for altum angelfish tank
Preview
Preview

1:25
Altum Angelfish Hardscape, Custom Aquarium Design by ...
YouTube· ADGVibe
May 23, 2019

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
How experienced are you as a fishkeeper?
One year or less?, 5 years?, 10 years or more?
If around one year, to 5 years, I would suggest, common, tank raised, aquarium strain angels.
With the above, small to medium mistakes are tolerated
If you have 10 years or more, then some of the more challenging type like altum, Peruvian, or leopoldi, these require much more attention to detail, like stringent water parameters, and care.
With these, one false move, like a less than drastic change in water parameters, or lack of perfect water quality, and they are all dead.
Some other minor details...
How many water changes do you expect (or have time do) per week?
This might determine what size and number of fish you keep.
A few large, adult cichlids (like oscars) might require 2 x 50% water changes per week or more, depending n your waters buffering capacity.
How often do you expect to monitor your water parameters per month?
If keeping sensitive species, this might require constant monitoring until the tank reaches equilibrium (almost a year).
Certain species prefer certain type substrates, certain species are good "or not", with plants.
There are other questions, that would determine tank stocking species and levels, but ...... not yet.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
If you want something pretty, and simple, a ram tank is nice. You can have Altum Angels, or other angels, and then on the bottom level, plant anubias, hornwort, and as many plants as you can find. And then you could have small catfish in the bottom.

Reactions: kyleallen22
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store