Long time lurker looking for inspiration 260G tank 72" L x 24" W x 36" H

kyleallen22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2021
Houston, TX
As the title says I'm a long-time lurker looking for inspiration 260G tank 72" L x 24" W x 36" H, officially have my tank and it's on the way. If you had this tank what would you put in it? Be honest and inspire me! If you have suggestions on substrate etc let me know I plan on running 2 Fluval FX6 for filtration.

kyleallen22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2021
Houston, TX
Forgot to include in my title or original post but I am primarily looking at south american / central american cichlids including angelfish. Let me know what you would do considering this last post!

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Sorry the include Angel fish post showed up after my post. They definitely won't work with a Festae.

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
I'm always a big proponent of geophagus species (almost all would work in that big of a tank) and severums (particularly the wild type species (H.severus, H.notatus, H.liberfer).

Reactions: Matteus

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I would do native. I do not know where you live, but I would do coldwater tank of native species like a black bullhead catfish, a large group of bluegill, some sunfish, and some livebearers.

Native list:

Bullhead catfish

note: these get relatively small in captivity, reaching roughly 14". They look nice, but are usually shy. I don't thibk they are native here, but are being introduced. Laugh at me all you want for creating a native list and starting with a non-native species :)
Image result for black bullhead catfish

Bluegill:

note: Bluegill will reach about 8 inches in captivity, and will school if they are the same size. The bluegill structure says that if the fish are the same size, then they school. They are cool because they will eat live food, and they are not bland
Image result for bluegill full size

Pumpkinseed Sunfish:

note: These fish get small, roughly 4 inches, so you will need to watch, and don't be surprised if some of them go missing. These are native to San Diego, and are VERY pretty. I would get quite a few of them. They do have 10 long dorsal spines, which hurt, and I know from experience!

Image result for pumpkinseed sunfish

Livebearers or Killifish:

note: these fish are small, reaching a typical length of 2 inches. Rainwater Killifish, or California Killifish is what I would choose. These fish are mesnt to be dithers. So if the bluegill or catfish are scared in the wild, small mosquitofish or other small fish would be out there swimming around. If there are none, it means there are predators. Don't be surprised if your bluegill chomp away at these!

California Killifish:

Image result for california killifish

Rainwater Killifish:

Image result for rainwater killifish

Livebearers, Feeder Platys:

Image result for feeder platys

(you can get prettier ones, but these ones would fit into a background)

Decor and Scape:

If you choose to do the suggested stock up above, scapes include a ship's anchor, driftwood, and large rocks. These would recreate the wild. Heavily Planted would be nice.

Stocking 2:

Gar:

I am no expert on gar. All I know is that they get relatively large, and that a 260 would be a good size for them alone, or with an eel. They like plants, and fell safer when you add duckweed, or water lettuce floating plants. beau1990 beau1990 can give you more information on gar. An option would be

Florida Gar:

Image result for florida gar

- Fire Eel

These eels are cool because they have firey patterns. Their face is adorable, as well. They reach a maximum of 32", so would be on the bigger side, but they do not need a giant tank, like arowana's, or more active species of fish. They will eat live food.
Image result for fire eel

Stocking 3:

Cichlid community tank with:

Blue Acaras

These cichlids reach a maximum of 5 inches. They are usually on the peaceful size. I am sure you have heard of them.
Image result for acara size

Oscar

Pretty fish, aggressive, personable, and you have DEFINETLY heard of them.

Image result for oscar cichlid

Parrot cichlids

Based off of threads I follow, they can be divas, and they can be devils. They can grow up to 10 inches. I am sure you have heard of them.
Image result for parrot cichlid size

Synodontis Catfish

Just pretty catfish. Personable, and can be skittish. There are hundreds of types of synodontis. Synodntis Eupterus or Featherfin Squeaker is shown bellow. They grow to 12 inches.
Image result for synodontis eupterus size
Chocolate Cichlid

Colorful Cichlid that is personable, can be bossy and is relatively Peaceful.
Image result for chocolate cichlid

There are tons more cichlids that you can look up on your own such as Rainbow Cichlid, Jack Dempsey cichlid, and Green Terror that are all options. This comes strait outta FINWIN FINWIN 's tank, so she can help you. I am not suggesting all of them together. It is always hit or miss

Stocking #4:

Freshwater (mottled) Sculpin:

These fish need lots of aeration. Don't know too much about them. They are COMPLETELY freshwater. Very aggressive. They are also venemous. Spines on the back contain venom that is used for defense.
Image result for mottled sculpin care

Ok. That was my last one. If you ask me to make more lists I will gladly. Hope you like the stocks I chose!

- The Masked Shadow

1613943270469.jpeg

Attachments

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Crap. Didn't read second post. Sorry. I hope you will consider the species I mentioned.

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
I would do native. I do not know where you live, but I would do coldwater tank of native species like a black bullhead catfish, a large group of bluegill, some sunfish, and some livebearers.

Native list:

Bullhead catfish

note: these get relatively small in captivity, reaching roughly 14". They look nice, but are usually shy. I don't thibk they are native here, but are being introduced. Laugh at me all you want for creating a native list and starting with a non-native species :)
View attachment 1452166

Bluegill:

note: Bluegill will reach about 8 inches in captivity, and will school if they are the same size. The bluegill structure says that if the fish are the same size, then they school. They are cool because they will eat live food, and they are not bland
View attachment 1452167

Pumpkinseed Sunfish:

note: These fish get small, roughly 4 inches, so you will need to watch, and don't be surprised if some of them go missing. These are native to San Diego, and are VERY pretty. I would get quite a few of them. They do have 10 long dorsal spines, which hurt, and I know from experience!

View attachment 1452168

Livebearers or Killifish:

note: these fish are small, reaching a typical length of 2 inches. Rainwater Killifish, or California Killifish is what I would choose. These fish are mesnt to be dithers. So if the bluegill or catfish are scared in the wild, small mosquitofish or other small fish would be out there swimming around. If there are none, it means there are predators. Don't be surprised if your bluegill chomp away at these!

California Killifish:

View attachment 1452169

Rainwater Killifish:

View attachment 1452170

Livebearers, Feeder Platys:

View attachment 1452171

(you can get prettier ones, but these ones would fit into a background)

Decor and Scape:

If you choose to do the suggested stock up above, scapes include a ship's anchor, driftwood, and large rocks. These would recreate the wild. Heavily Planted would be nice.

Stocking 2:

Gar:

I am no expert on gar. All I know is that they get relatively large, and that a 260 would be a good size for them alone, or with an eel. They like plants, and fell safer when you add duckweed, or water lettuce floating plants. beau1990 beau1990 can give you more information on gar. An option would be

Florida Gar:

View attachment 1452172

- Fire Eel

These eels are cool because they have firey patterns. Their face is adorable, as well. They reach a maximum of 32", so would be on the bigger side, but they do not need a giant tank, like arowana's, or more active species of fish. They will eat live food.
View attachment 1452173

Stocking 3:

Cichlid community tank with:

Blue Acaras

These cichlids reach a maximum of 5 inches. They are usually on the peaceful size. I am sure you have heard of them.
View attachment 1452174

Oscar

Pretty fish, aggressive, personable, and you have DEFINETLY heard of them.

View attachment 1452175

Parrot cichlids

Based off of threads I follow, they can be divas, and they can be devils. They can grow up to 10 inches. I am sure you have heard of them.
View attachment 1452176

Synodontis Catfish

Just pretty catfish. Personable, and can be skittish. There are hundreds of types of synodontis. Synodntis Eupterus or Featherfin Squeaker is shown bellow. They grow to 12 inches.
View attachment 1452177
Chocolate Cichlid

Colorful Cichlid that is personable, can be bossy and is relatively Peaceful.
View attachment 1452178

There are tons more cichlids that you can look up on your own such as Rainbow Cichlid, Jack Dempsey cichlid, and Green Terror that are all options. This comes strait outta FINWIN FINWIN 's tank, so she can help you. I am not suggesting all of them together. It is always hit or miss

Stocking #4:

Freshwater (mottled) Sculpin:

These fish need lots of aeration. Don't know too much about them. They are COMPLETELY freshwater. Very aggressive. They are also venemous. Spines on the back contain venom that is used for defense.
View attachment 1452181

Ok. That was my last one. If you ask me to make more lists I will gladly. Hope you like the stocks I chose!

- The Masked Shadow

View attachment 1452182
pumpkinseed aren't native to cali. And bullheads are native to the US. But they need very cold water too, they live in mountain streams. Eveything else is pretty accurate.

Reactions: kyleallen22
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store