Long time lurker looking for inspiration 260G tank 72" L x 24" W x 36" H

kyleallen22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2021
Houston, TX
The gar and eel are gorgeous and would probably be my first pick if I had the choice, unfortunately, I don't think my wife will let me have an eel in the house lol.

That being said stocking 3 looks pretty nice, I like the idea of having oscar(s), it's just a matter of finding them some mates that won't harass or be harassed by them.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Get a ph Test, or look at your local water well thingy. It will help us stock. If you were to go the Cichlid route, you could go an oscar pair. The tank has potential though. An Oscar pair could go in a 125, so I say something larger.

kyleallen22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2021
Houston, TX
Currently thinking of getting the following:

1-2 Tiger Oscar - (Astronotus ocellatus)
1 Chocolate Cichlid - (Hypselecara temporalis)
?? Geophagus - (Not sure if keeping them is realistic long term)
?? Electric Blue Acaras - (Andinoacara pulcher) (Not sure of a good number to have.)
Severums - (I've seen people successfully keep severums with oscars and seen the opposite, curious to see what others have experienced.)
1 Featherfin Squeaker ( Synodontis eupterus)

Looking for opinions, options, inspiration!

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Currently thinking of getting the following:

1-2 Tiger Oscar - (Astronotus ocellatus)
1 Chocolate Cichlid - (Hypselecara temporalis)
?? Geophagus - (Not sure if keeping them is realistic long term)
?? Electric Blue Acaras - (Andinoacara pulcher) (Not sure of a good number to have.)
Severums - (I've seen people successfully keep severums with oscars and seen the opposite, curious to see what others have experienced.)
1 Featherfin Squeaker ( Synodontis eupterus)

Looking for opinions, options, inspiration!
WIth harder water, it's only a matter of time before soft water fish like Oscars and the Choco develop HITH. They come from really soft water, no matter the color variant. With tannins and pristine water conditions (nitrates below 20ppm everyday) it could take as long as 7 years. If stress is really high, it can show up within 2-3 years. Same with the geophagus you choose, unless you pick species from clearwater conditions.

The others have a much better chance in harder water.

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
KATALEKEEPER KATALEKEEPER Bull heads dont really live in mountain streams I fish for them in a dirty drainage age pond beside my house were all the lawn chemicals and stuff run into I have pulled several out that have mutations I have never caught any in clear water actually only murky silty waterbodys

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
After doing a quick test for hardness I'm showing around 140 ppm
Well then, you do not have hard water. You have soft water, perfect for Oscars and Chocolates. You probably have a PH above 7.0 if you thought that you had hard water.

The only other issue is the oscar and chocolates fighting since they have the same body type and occupy the same space in the water column. Geophagus tend to eat from the bottom, so it's best they do not have competition from a catfish

Oscar/Chocolate
Angelfish
Featherfin/Pimelodus ornatus/Geophagus abalios/Geophagus winemilleri (both geos are commonly mislabeled as Surinamensis)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store