Long vacation, Fish Survival

CeeReeOoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2011
Minnesota
Hello all,

I will be out of the country next month for 19 days, just trying to get some ideas to keep my fish alive during that time. I currently have six 40 breeders with different L numbers. During my absence, I plan on having my niece come over to feed my fish every 5-6 days with dry food individually portioned out. However, no water changes will be performed during that time. I have also acquired some AquaClear filters in addition to the sponge filters currently in the tanks to help keep the water clean. Any other ideas or tips to keep my fishies alive?

Reactions: tlindsey

CeeReeOoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2011
Minnesota
If you're Neice does what you told her the fish should be fine. You may want to perform wc's when you get back.
Thank you, that's what I was thinking as well, just a small part of me questioning my decision for some odd reason.

I was also told not to feed them during the 19 days and they should not have issues surviving, anyone has experience on that?

Reactions: tlindsey

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I feed heavy two days before leaving then do a large water change the day before
Two weeks later I feed heavy and do a large water change

CeeReeOoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2011
Minnesota
Yes some mature fish species can go without food for weeks. I would personally have them fed if a Pleco species for example.
The species I have are L46, L236, L236 Superwhite, L134, L397. Majority are juveniles, have a group of mature L236 basics. I am leaning toward having my niece come feed them just a little every week.

I feed heavy two days before leaving then do a large water change the day before
Two weeks later I feed heavy and do a large water change
I have been told to do a big water change two days prior to my departure, so that I can spot any potential issues with the fish then. The same individual also advised me to perform a smaller water change upon my return versus a large one in order not to shock them.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Before I retired, my work schedule (at remote northern jobsites) required that my tanks were left with no attention other than feeding (pre-packaged portions) for three weeks out of every four, for months at a time. I was concerned about deteriorating water quality as well as the "shocking" to which you refer.

Nothing to worry about! I fell into a routine of one 90% water change the first day I got home, another similar change at the end of my week off, and light feedings throughout my absence. I never had any fish display anything resembling stress or negative reactions to this schedule. Water is from a well and completely untreated aside from temperature matching. Mechanical filtration media was cleaned thoroughly at each water change; biomedia untouched. Tanks were not crowded, and admittedly contained no exceptionally sensitive fish; a few catfish species, several Goodeid livebearer species, several cichlid species, and an assortment of barbs, Garra sp., a wolffish, etc.

I don't doubt that some fish might experience stress if water parameters are allowed to deteriorate drastically, and then exposed to one of my typical massive water changes. The deterioration during a mere three weeks is nowhere near bad enough to present this problem. If you are concerned, you could indeed do a small change when you return, followed by a couple more over the next couple days. This might reduce stress...on you!...but is not necessary in terms of your fish.

I also had a colony of several hundred to several thousand Red Cherry Shrimp...notorious for their sensitivity to changes in water parameters...which bred at an astronomical rate under this regimen.

Your fish will be absolutely fine. Enjoy your vacation! :)

CeeReeOoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2011
Minnesota
Ah, ok, the large water change would make sense. I used to do that when I kept cichlids back in the days, since plecos are new to me, I am a bit hesitate to fall back to my old routines. For your feedings, did you have someone feed your fish daily or at a set number of days?

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
For my tanks 19 days is a long time to go without added water at minimum because of evaporation. I’ve missed a weekly water change and by the time I got to the tank the filters were almost not running bc 1/2 the water evaporated.

I think it would be essential to teach her how to dose prime and do a water top up. Only if required.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I was just thinking about the fact that you were a pleco guy, which immediately brought Niki_up Niki_up to mind...and here she is! Good call on the evaporation thing. I had my wife well-trained in water top-ups in case levels dropped too low; my tanks and sumps are tightly covered so she never actually needed to do it.

At first, she fed pre-measured portions every 3 days or so; as time passed and we got more confident in the system, we switched to light daily feedings, always pre-measured. If I left her to decide how much to feed, she invariably overfed, as do many aquarists. No real problems, but it did result in higher nitrates, more algae, more snails...easier just to get a bunch of small Rubbermaid-style containers from the Dollar Store and use them to store pre-measured daily meals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store