Looking for advice on buying a new camera.

Eupterus

Black Skirt Tetra
Original poster
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2006
Bennington, VT
Hi, I'm planning to buy a new camera as an upgrade to my Kodak DX7440 camera.
I want to use the camera for:
-General use.
-Social occasions.
-Hiking, kayaking and outdoor activities ( Yes I have special water protection gear to hold a camera)
-Aquarium fish.

I will probably choose another Kodak as I've liked how user friendly is it, however feel welcome to suggest other brands.

OK, some features I'm looking for:
- Must be an upgrade/ better then the camera I already have otherwise not much point in buying a new one.
- At least 8MP.
- The same size or smaller then the current model.
- Will not cost more then $400.
- I am willing to shop around and if the right model is more then $400 , I will buy it used.
- Will use the same memory sticks ( SD).
- Will use a re-chargeable battery.
- Will take decent pictures of aquarium fish/ has a decent macro lens or whatever other features one needs for this purpose?.
- Will take short movies ( Do they all do this these days?).. I think so.
-I have a mac mini computer 1.42 processor speed. It would be best if the camera would work with this.

mrlimpet

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2005
san francisco
i saw and responded in your other post but i see you're covering all the bases. :)

sorry i can't make any specific recommendations since i haven't done any research but since you have identified very specifically what your requirements are, it shouldn't be too hard to find the 'right' cam to meet your needs.

hopefully, others with actual experience with cameras that meet your crtieria will chime in. if they don't, i think you're still in good shape because you've got your parameters. all that's left is the search. happy hunting and please post some pics when you get it.

Eupterus

Black Skirt Tetra
Original poster
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2006
Bennington, VT
I'm hoping to start my own personal webpage called "Fighting Sea Kittens".
Mostly it will have some pictures of my own personal pet fish along with a few I've bred for sale.
I haven't worked on my own web-page for a while now...so we'll see.

Eupterus

Black Skirt Tetra
Original poster
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2006
Bennington, VT
One thing that would be really useful to know is how much optical zoom is good for fishy pictures.

I know more is probably "better"...Except all the cameras that have more weight more too.

maddog10

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Maryland
Optical zoom...good
Digital zoom...bad

Yes, more is better.
For most cameras, heavy is better. It provides a bit more stability (something that is lacking in almost all P&S cameras).

Eupterus

Black Skirt Tetra
Original poster
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2006
Bennington, VT
Change of plans for me. I have decided to wait until July to get my "fancier" camera.

I have been informed that there will be issues with cameras for the volunteer job trip I'm planning to go on in June . They do not want us photographing people or anything to do with our volunteer job. My pack will be on a mule and we hike in ten miles, plus two miles each day to the work site.

I am going on another side trip after my volunteer job is up and since I hardly ever get to go on trips, I want a few pictures of me hiking or other personal memories so I'm not going to obey the don't bring a camera suggestion.

So I got to thinking, instead of bringing a new, fancy expensive camera, bring a tiny basic camera along in June because it'll be easier to conceal in my pocket.
I looked on ebay and I could get a small used camera with all the features I need for a few memory snapshots for $25 or I could probably just bring my cell phone and use the simple camera on there.

If I get this small camera for hiking, then my "fish" camera can be a bit larger/ heavier since I can take the tiny camera for all my extended longer hikes such as when I want to hit the long trail again.

mrlimpet

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2005
san francisco
so, you've talked yourself into two cameras. i like your thinking! :lol:

please post some pics of your trip as well as your fish when you get your new cam.

Eupterus

Black Skirt Tetra
Original poster
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2006
Bennington, VT
I still haven't a clue how much optical zoom is needed for some decent fish pictures.
I don't mind waiting obviously...Still it would be nice to know so I could be on the lookout for any bargain deals.

Been looking at Kodak, Panasonic and Canon pages at their product line up.

As for my fish pictures. I've got one posted at plecofanatics of one of my plecos and a couple of my synos laying around.
Time permitting, I would like to have another portrait session with them soon with either my planned camera or my current camera.

Nether of these two groups of catfish lend themselves well to fishy portraits.
My plecos dislike the light, are active at night and hide frequently.
As soon as I setup any decent lighting, they pull a vanishing act.
All the good relaxed shots are impossible to capture due to lighting.

My synos also dislike the light and tend to enjoy darting around quickly whenever I try my hand at their portraits.
Of course this means I have lot of dim syno pictures, blurry ones where they whipped around with their tails or empty pictures where they left my "window" before the camera snapped a picture.
The best photos I have of them so far are when they sit in the flower pots with their heads poking out.

I have considered taking them upstairs in a photography tank where at least I'll have natural lighting instead of the cellar issues which complicate all of my catfish photos.. Given the ages of my catfish, I'm a bit hesitant with subjecting them to stressful circumstances, on the other hand I would like some good memory pictures.

However the synos will get very stressed out when caught and moved so I'm thinking at best I will be getting pictures of stressed out dashing catfish even if the lighting is better.
I moved them many years ago because they had ick and I ended up injuring them.
When one was a baby, si poked my finger with hir pectoral fin, which felt like a small needle prick so I also have to worry about them poking me with their pectoral fins when they get threatened.

My current problem being that I cannot download pictures so I cannot easily share what I have already.
My DX7440 which has no other issues is good at sending pictures into limbo when I download. IF I fiddle with it a couple of hours, I can retrieve my photos. Normally I do not have the patience. This has generally meant all of my pictures are "stuck" on my memory sticks. I have joked about my "difficult-share".
Maybe it's a software issue or maybe it's the cable...I just don't know.

Figured I'll eventually buy a dock for it or just take the memory stick out and stick it in another camera to download.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store