Looking for help with tank mates

Gozzzyyy92

Feeder Fish
Nov 19, 2017
England
Am new to (this site) but I have a 5ft by 2ft by 2ft tank 570 litres at the moment I have one South American pike chichlid two tiger Oscars two rock climbing perch and three red bellies am just wondering what else I can have as the tank looks empty. Am looking for something colourful or something with a little attitude

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
.....and three red bellies am just wondering what else I can have as the tank looks empty. Am looking for something colourful or something with a little attitude
Welcome!

Three red belly what? Tetra? Pacu? Piranha? Tropheus? etc? This might greatly impact any advice.

Are the fish full grown? If not, then yes, the tank will look a little empty. That will change as they grow. Possibly a lot.

I'm not familiar with the perches or pike, but two full grown oscars will need most if not all of that space if they are to remain civil with each other. Adding something else that has attitude might not be a good idea, especially depending on what the 3 red belly fish actually end up being.

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard :)

I agree with Drstrangelove Drstrangelove wouldn't add anything else and if the Redbelly's are Pacu you will need to upgrade to a much larger aquarium or rehome them.

Reactions: magpie

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
This in in US speak, a 150 gal tank.
And I'd say is at about maximum stocking if the fish are adults (depending on species).
But if juvies I'm sure it seems empty looking.
I agree with Drstrangelove about being more specific.
Some species of pike cichlids will stay small 5", some reach almost 2ft, so without knowing what species, it is pretty hard to comment with any degree of certainty, and the same goes for red belly _ ?? If they are red belly pacu, (unless stunted) they will outgrow the tank in a matter of months, and there will only be room for the 3, and that would only be temporary at best.

Reactions: magpie and tlindsey

Gozzzyyy92

Feeder Fish
Nov 19, 2017
England
Hi guys the red bellies are pacu this Is what my lsf told me but I wasn't sure so checked the teeth and there not pacu teeth so rang my lsf and told them but basically got called a liar about them being piranhas i am in the right about piranhas having triangular shaped teeth?? There juveniles at the moment and I have already sorted rehoming them there going In a week or so same ith the perch. the pike only grows to 7inch i should of put this in my first post sorry guys i forgot to say about rehoming them thought i did. Have been thinking about a L number pleco many thanks

Reactions: Drstrangelove

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
L Number pleco would be fine. If the bike is a belly crawler or similar species that gets to 6-7", I'd say you have a little bit of room as long as you have enough filtration and keep up on water changes. My recommendations would be instead of more cichlids, get some oddball characins like pinktail chalceus or some fancy silver dollars. Or a single Flagtail Prochilodus would be a cool addition.

Gozzzyyy92

Feeder Fish
Nov 19, 2017
England
I have one external fluval f6 and a fluval u4 internal I do keep up with water changes as much as I can I've had a look at pink tails there really nice thanks for everyone's advice great help

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store