Looking for some new big omni/herbivorous cichlids(non-cichlids)

steenmillinder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2012
denmark
I need a bigger tank(or just another one) :p I have to admit it does look nice with 200 P. demasoni's close to the rocks and my big black belt and regani patrolling the outer perimeter, they don't really interact other than that the demasoni's just get out of the way :)

steenmillinder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2012
denmark
nice fish! (and yes it is stocked for now, but it is still really nice to learn about a part of the hobby that I have not really been a part of, I've had rift, reef and predators), thanks :)

steenmillinder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2012
denmark
I'm also considering hypselacara tempralis, Hypsophrys nicaraguensis, and reading up on Hoplarchus psittacus(some say it can live on a very plant-based diet when mature, but I'm not yet convinced), any experience with any of them is much appreciated, and are some of the Vieja's mere plant-based than others?(Regani is supposed to be more or less "vegan" when mature)...

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Some of the stomach content observation of both Maskaheros species showed crustaceans, insect larvae, and detritus.
The waters they are found in are high in pH and mineral content (ph 7.8 and above), and devoid of plant life (except algae).
I have kept both, and found them to be very aggressive, at maturity, unless a swift current is the norm.
I tried to keep them in a cichlid community of 150 gallons and they tried to kill all others, to the point of having larger managuense and dovii, pinned into corners. The argentea ended up alone. I tried them again years later, same result.

I gave the mature regani to a friend for a 220 gal thinking it might be enough, the regani killed his large Amphilophus (mid evil) and carpintus.

Nicaraguense I've kept have been rather benign in a cichlid community setting as far as aggression goes, and worked great in hard water.

On the other hand, both Hoplarchus, and Hypselacara, are soft water species with a preferred pH range under 6.

steenmillinder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2012
denmark
Pinned a jag and dovii, harsh!!! of course, the size will be a driving factor a 30-inch dovii(I sold mine when it was about 20 inches, I intended to build a 660 gal plywood tank, but lack of money and time stopped that project prematurely :( ) is probably going to stand its ground better with respect to a mature regani... I had an 11-12 inch regani some years ago, and it was a(stunning) bully but my motaguenesis pair(mota x freddy hybrids) kept it in check... About the pH, mine is stable at around 7, I have quite a bit of bogwood but also some of my old rocks from my reef, so guess they work as a buffer?(out tap water here is rather hard due to it being from a lime/sandstone aquifer and I change about 50%/week)... Thanks a lot for your words of wisdom they are much appreciated!

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
why not some tropheus? I'm not into Africans but those are mainly herbivores right? Someone chime in on that with some more experience

steenmillinder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2012
denmark
why not some tropheus? I'm not into Africans but those are mainly herbivores right? Someone chime in on that with some more experience
I have Tropheus, I wanted something with a little more size, so simochromis or petro's could do it, I've kept mbuna and troffs in the same tank with success(what defines success!?)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store