Looking to buy external flash for P&S

Mr.Firemouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2006
st.louis
www.uberfrags.net
OK, My shots on fish suck because they are too dark.
If I raise the ISO they get grainy.
If I increase the f stop to 2.8 and increase shutter speed to 1/100 they still are too dark.
If i leave the shutter 1/6 or slower they are blurry.
So I am told to increase flash.
The Sony Flash Unit is $360 for my camera. It talks directly to the camera with the wireless mode. Aftermarket brands like promaster have to use the cable and will not IR with the Sony a200. So these lamps look like they would be worth the $50.

These are optical triggers? or should I get the one with the sync cord?
Is one bright enough for a top down thru the glass or will I need 2? If I need 2 then I may as well put that $100 towards the Sony flash.(which means it will be months before I get one)

What say you?

Rohape

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Newport News, VA
www.flickr.com
I totally forgot I started this thread.
I'm not sure about Sony, but these will not work with my 10D. Yes! I got an SLR...FINALLY! $80 on craigslist! :-D (ok, im done cheering:))
This is based off my Canon 10D
These bulbs are purely optical, triggered by the flash. The preflash will either not trigger them, or trigger them prematurely.
You might want to research for your camera on some Sony forums, or maybe one of the members here have experience with this.
They worked pretty well with my P&S, kind of finicky detecting the flash.

I just looked on B&H for some lenses for your camera. Boy, Sony really gets ya in the "gotcha" for lenses. Is f/2.8 as low as you can get? Go as low as possible for your f stop.

Mr.Firemouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2006
st.louis
www.uberfrags.net
Yeah I picked up a Minolta A/F 100mm Macro 2.8 and it was expensive.
Sony is very proprietary and not all aftermarket will work with it.
The optic flash should time with camera flash. Did you get the one with the sync cord?

Rohape

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Newport News, VA
www.flickr.com
No, the ones I got screw in like a light bulb. I bought a couple clamp lights from Lowe's. They just have a sensor for when the flash goes. They're not programmable or know when the pre-flash goes. They're dummy lights. When a light flashes they flash too.

Rohape

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Newport News, VA
www.flickr.com
No, I didn't have preflash on my A520. I do on my 10D, so they don't work.
Oh yeah, they're bright! You'll have a tank full of blind fish if your not careful. :)

I would offer you mine, but I'm out of town and I plan to keep them when I get an external flash that can be programmed manually.
I got mine from buy.com for I believe $37 a piece.

maddog10

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Maryland
Some of the better optical slaves can sync with the camera, as they ignore the preflash. Does the Sony even use a preflash? I now advise people to take the camera to a shop and talk to the salesman. Try the flash with your camera and see if it works as expected. The bulb/flash shown comes with a VERY short sync cord so that it can also be used as a master.

Mr.Firemouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2006
st.louis
www.uberfrags.net
maddog10;88130; said:
Some of the better optical slaves can sync with the camera, as they ignore the preflash. Does the Sony even use a preflash? I now advise people to take the camera to a shop and talk to the salesman. Try the flash with your camera and see if it works as expected. The bulb/flash shown comes with a VERY short sync cord so that it can also be used as a master.
HAhAhA! LOL
Taking a Sony to the shop is like talking in German to these people. LOL
They really are good at Nikon and Canon, but they are lost with the Sony stuff. They do know what does not work with Sony though. :)

So far almost every thing I ask about is special for Sony, isn't stocked and will take about 3 weeks to get in. They have the 70-200mm telephoto lens, they have $400 flash units, and they have better Sony bodies. They don't have much else. I looked into the Promaster line of flashes, but they have limitations when working with Sony alpha series DSLRs. Crazy huh?

It will run about $400 to get the flash for the Sony, so I will have to wait on that. Hopefully the slave flash will work.

I deal with Creve Couer Camera. They are really good, but Sony is just not the popular camera. The cool thing is older A/F Minolta lenses will fit and I can get those used at discounted prices.

Today I returned a promaster camera bag because it had bad zippers, and they could not show me how to get burst mode in focus or how to adjust my metering to get a better exposure with a higher fstop number without having a slow shutter. They were lost, and I was frustrated. I know I have a ton to learn yet, so I contacted their training instructor for one on one classes where hopefully he can help me with tank shots. :)

maddog10

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Maryland
If you can get an optical slave, that is not wired or mounted to the camera, any brand will work. It just senses the camera flash and fires. You should be able to set it to as a fill flash, which should power it down a bit. With the cheaper slave flashes you will have to manually diffuse it. Higher priced models will allow you to adjust the power levels, which comes in handy in shallow tanks or for fish that like the surface. Keep researching, I am sure you will come up with something that works.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store