Lost causes.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
This story is a long one, and unfortunately it isn't peppered with humour, simply because there is nothing humourous to be taken from what I'm about to write. So, make a cup of your favourite beverage and get a couple of choccy biscuits.

Anyone who you meet who's in the hobby who has the philosophy, "aquarium fish don't live long anyway, and in any case they're only fish", well you know you're onto a loser from the start as far as educating them goes.

Unfortunately this is the exact philosophy of a couple up live up the road from us. They're lifelong friends of my wife and according to her they have always had a fish tank for as long as she has been visiting their house.

The first time I was introduced to them we got talking about tank stuff, and it soon became apparent that our attitudes towards maintenance, fish care, research, all that goes with the hobby basically, were light years apart. One simple example, which will tell you immediately the level they are it, is that their maintenance consists of setting a full day aside every 2 or 3 months, and blitzing the whole tank! A full deep deep clean and scrub of everything. Yeah, I know.

When I asked if they had a fast turnover of fish the answer was an unsurprising "yes", and then the husband came out with the line, "aquarium fish don't live long anyway, and in any case they're only fish". So, you get the gist of what these two are about now. I could make this post extremely long giving example after example of their lack of fish keeping know how over the years. But I'll jump right forward to the present day, something that happened yesterday, which absolutely staggered me and just made me want to physically shake these two idiots.

I got home from work and my wife told me that her friend had rang her wanting to know if I would take some fish from her, again (I have taken rescue fish from her before), as her tank had sprung a slow leak. I purposely haven't been anywhere near their house for a few years, basically because of that first encounter with them, so I didn't know what to expect, what fish she had or anything.

I went up with a bucket and net. The tank with the leak was around the 55g mark. In the corner, already set up was a tiny brand new 10g tank. She said she wanted me to take the four biggest fish and the small ones could go in her new 10g. The four bigger fish she spoke about were 2 Bala sharks (about 4-5"), a pictus cat (about 6"), and a yo-yo loach (about 3"). I netted the fish out, put them in my bucket, netted her small fish out too for her 10g (tetras and neons and a couple of 1" plecos), I know I know, what can you do, I wasn't about to try and educate her about plecos, I just wanted to get the hell out of there.

I got home and then this is where the real sad part starts kicking in. I got my test kit out to test the water in the bucket, which was from her 55g. We know that the nitrate test is a 5 minute test. I kid you not, the colour of the water hit deep burgundy in less than 30 seconds, so that's a bare minimum of 160ppm. I shuddered at the thought of what the true nitrate reading was on her water. Over the next hour I slowly diluted the "soup" in the bucket with fresh treated and temperature correct clean water. I tested along the way and still, all I was getting was burgundy on the colour chart. It wasn't until my 5th or 6th partial water change in the bucket that I got a lower reading of red (typically 40-80ppm).

In short, her nitrate reading from her 55g must have been in the many many hundreds ppm. It sickened me to the core.

I ranted at my poor missus about her stupid friends but all she said was, "don't rant at me, get on your forum and vent your steam" lol. So here I am, not that it makes me feel any better.

Why do people like this, in this day and age of computers and research still exist in the hobby? There are simply no excuses for it.

Rant over!

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
This story is a long one, and unfortunately it isn't peppered with humour, simply because there is nothing humourous to be taken from what I'm about to write. So, make a cup of your favourite beverage and get a couple of choccy biscuits.

Anyone who you meet who's in the hobby who has the philosophy, "aquarium fish don't live long anyway, and in any case they're only fish", well you know you're onto a loser from the start as far as educating them goes.

Unfortunately this is the exact philosophy of a couple up live up the road from us. They're lifelong friends of my wife and according to her they have always had a fish tank for as long as she has been visiting their house.

The first time I was introduced to them we got talking about tank stuff, and it soon became apparent that our attitudes towards maintenance, fish care, research, all that goes with the hobby basically, were light years apart. One simple example, which will tell you immediately the level they are it, is that their maintenance consists of setting a full day aside every 2 or 3 months, and blitzing the whole tank! A full deep deep clean and scrub of everything. Yeah, I know.

When I asked if they had a fast turnover of fish the answer was an unsurprising "yes", and then the husband came out with the line, "aquarium fish don't live long anyway, and in any case they're only fish". So, you get the gist of what these two are about now. I could make this post extremely long giving example after example of their lack of fish keeping know how over the years. But I'll jump right forward to the present day, something that happened yesterday, which absolutely staggered me and just made me want to physically shake these two idiots.

I got home from work and my wife told me that her friend had rang her wanting to know if I would take some fish from her, again (I have taken rescue fish from her before), as her tank had sprung a slow leak. I purposely haven't been anywhere near their house for a few years, basically because of that first encounter with them, so I didn't know what to expect, what fish she had or anything.

I went up with a bucket and net. The tank with the leak was around the 55g mark. In the corner, already set up was a tiny brand new 10g tank. She said she wanted me to take the four biggest fish and the small ones could go in her new 10g. The four bigger fish she spoke about were 2 Bala sharks (about 4-5"), a pictus cat (about 6"), and a yo-yo loach (about 3"). I netted the fish out, put them in my bucket, netted her small fish out too for her 10g (tetras and neons and a couple of 1" plecos), I know I know, what can you do, I wasn't about to try and educate her about plecos, I just wanted to get the hell out of there.

I got home and then this is where the real sad part starts kicking in. I got my test kit out to test the water in the bucket, which was from her 55g. We know that the nitrate test is a 5 minute test. I kid you not, the colour of the water hit deep burgundy in less than 30 seconds, so that's a bare minimum of 160ppm. I shuddered at the thought of what the true nitrate reading was on her water. Over the next hour I slowly diluted the "soup" in the bucket with fresh treated and temperature correct clean water. I tested along the way and still, all I was getting was burgundy on the colour chart. It wasn't until my 5th or 6th partial water change in the bucket that I got a lower reading of red (typically 40-80ppm).

In short, her nitrate reading from her 55g must have been in the many many hundreds ppm. It sickened me to the core.

I ranted at my poor missus about her stupid friends but all she said was, "don't rant at me, get on your forum and vent your steam" lol. So here I am, not that it makes me feel any better.

Why do people like this, in this day and age of computers and research still exist in the hobby? There are simply no excuses for it.

Rant over!
Honestly I found this very humorous but I am of course a younger hobbyist and a lot less mature than many others but I find it funny that they said that they’re just fish and they don’t live long anyway, while this may be true with some species such as tetras or guppies, they can still have long lives up to several years if taken proper care of. Seriously though, fish do live long. Example: my flowerhorn daisy, flowerhorn are human created and modified fish made for looks, they have f’d up digestive systems along with a kok that can reach the size of a baseball that I don’t think they know that they have, these fish can still live upwards to 12-14 years of taken proper care of. But if you got nitrates up in the hundreds then it’s a miracle that the fish are living in that acidic of water without dying within 2 days or less. Sir, go to her house, raid the tanks and save the lives of many poor fish. Or tie her to a chair and give her a 5 week long lecture about proper fish keeping. She NEEDS it. Another thing WHY PLECOS just why dude why. They’re just poop factories. If you want an algae eater get a Chinese algae eater or something similar that isn’t going to make the tank into a pull of feces factory. Sorry I’m kind of ranting myself as it’s almost 4:30 am and I’ve been up a night and have a lot on my mind lol. I kind of understand that pull breakdown of the tank and cleaning thoroughly as I used to be the exact same way when I kept guppies and tetras long before I joined this forum and had a hexagon 29g so on that I kind of understand where there coming from but that doesn’t mean that I approve of it. It’s a waste of time, fish and money. Just do a small water change bi-weekly or something, I mean seriously dude just calm down, take a few steps back and think to yourself “why am I doing this”. I can’t say that they’re stupid but let’s be honest, they kind of are, but we all at some point we’re at the same place as them… well, not the exact same place but at one point we all were amateurs at all of this and learned from others and from experience but I guess some people just never learned. What you should do is go over there and show them the water tests and preform them at their house in front of their eyes so that they understand what’s going on. People are stupid, let’s be honest, some people just aren’t made for the hobby or deserve fish. They aren’t just fish, I personally see my flowerhorn as family and most of you all I would assume feel the same about your fish or at least see them as a very close friend, seriously you can rant to them and they won’t ever tell you that you’re wrong or go against you’re opinion, they just swim and listen to all of your problems, In my experience with daisy, he has cheered me up on many occasions when I was sad or depressed and even helps me calm down when having panic attacks, there’s just something about him that relaxes me. Anyone that says “they’re just fish” do not know at all what they’re taking about and don’t deserve fish.
Thank you for reading and I’m sorry for the lengthy response.

Reactions: ..puSkar..

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
Honestly I found this very humorous but I am of course a younger hobbyist and a lot less mature than many others but I find it funny that they said that they’re just fish and they don’t live long anyway, while this may be true with some species such as tetras or guppies, they can still have long lives up to several years if taken proper care of. Seriously though, fish do live long. Example: my flowerhorn daisy, flowerhorn are human created and modified fish made for looks, they have f’d up digestive systems along with a kok that can reach the size of a baseball that I don’t think they know that they have, these fish can still live upwards to 12-14 years of taken proper care of. But if you got nitrates up in the hundreds then it’s a miracle that the fish are living in that acidic of water without dying within 2 days or less. Sir, go to her house, raid the tanks and save the lives of many poor fish. Or tie her to a chair and give her a 5 week long lecture about proper fish keeping. She NEEDS it. Another thing WHY PLECOS just why dude why. They’re just poop factories. If you want an algae eater get a Chinese algae eater or something similar that isn’t going to make the tank into a pull of feces factory. Sorry I’m kind of ranting myself as it’s almost 4:30 am and I’ve been up a night and have a lot on my mind lol. I kind of understand that pull breakdown of the tank and cleaning thoroughly as I used to be the exact same way when I kept guppies and tetras long before I joined this forum and had a hexagon 29g so on that I kind of understand where there coming from but that doesn’t mean that I approve of it. It’s a waste of time, fish and money. Just do a small water change bi-weekly or something, I mean seriously dude just calm down, take a few steps back and think to yourself “why am I doing this”. I can’t say that they’re stupid but let’s be honest, they kind of are, but we all at some point we’re at the same place as them… well, not the exact same place but at one point we all were amateurs at all of this and learned from others and from experience but I guess some people just never learned. What you should do is go over there and show them the water tests and preform them at their house in front of their eyes so that they understand what’s going on. People are stupid, let’s be honest, some people just aren’t made for the hobby or deserve fish. They aren’t just fish, I personally see my flowerhorn as family and most of you all I would assume feel the same about your fish or at least see them as a very close friend, seriously you can rant to them and they won’t ever tell you that you’re wrong or go against you’re opinion, they just swim and listen to all of your problems, In my experience with daisy, he has cheered me up on many occasions when I was sad or depressed and even helps me calm down when having panic attacks, there’s just something about him that relaxes me. Anyone that says “they’re just fish” do not know at all what they’re taking about and don’t deserve fish.
Thank you for reading and I’m sorry for the lengthy response.
We've got loads of such crappy people here in India. There have been instances where people have told me to mind my own business when I tried to correct them politely. People here want to keep 5 goldfish in a 10 gallon and change water monthly. I've seen alligator 3-ft gars in 5ft tanks that are 2 ft wide. A lfs has a 3 ft arapaima + 24" Stingray + 16-18" Rtg arowana in a 6*2*2 .
I'm sick of such people and just move out off the lfs when I hear people start how they wanna stock common plecos with neon tetras in a 5 gallon.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
We've got loads of such crappy people here in India. There have been instances where people have told me to mind my own business when I tried to correct them politely. People here want to keep 5 goldfish in a 10 gallon and change water monthly. I've seen alligator 3-ft gars in 5ft tanks that are 2 ft wide. A lfs has a 3 ft arapaima + 24" Stingray + 16-18" Rtg arowana in a 6*2*2 .
I'm sick of such people and just move out off the lfs when I hear people start how they wanna stock common plecos with neon tetras in a 5 gallon.
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t that common In India? There aren’t as many resources over there which result in smaller tanks right? Still ridiculous but it’s somewhat understandable

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
Yu
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t that common In India? There aren’t as many resources over there which result in smaller tanks right? Still ridiculous but it’s somewhat understandable
Yup it's very common, but young keepers of my age seem to do it better as they have the internet, but still there are people who have all information but will still keep 5 goldfish in a 10 gallon because they simply like the look of it. They don't care about the fish. It's just like a decorative items or a showpiece.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Yu
Yup it's very common, but young keepers of my age seem to do it better as they have the internet, but still there are people who have all information but will still keep 5 goldfish in a 10 gallon because they simply like the look of it. They don't care about the fish. It's just like a decorative items or a showpiece.
Some people just don’t deserve fish…

Reactions: ..puSkar..

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
No matter how much you whine on a web forum,it'll just keep happening.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Countless millions of tropical fish die every day, for the sake of our hobby.
But what stops them from dying in the wild too? Yes we lose millions in f fish every day throughout the hobby but I feel like a majority is due to the owner not providing proper care.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store