lost my entire school of tats to ammonia

jonnytat2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
N. Jersey
so few months back i wanted a school of red tail payaras. couldnt find them and havent heard back . so i called a local place and told them im coming by today to pick up the remaining ATF's he had in stock. litterally as i arrive my buddy calls and says the tats have arrived . all 6 so ended up picking up 6 x 3.5" tats. been a few months now i had them all housed in a 7ft 210 gal tank. atf"s were barely 4" aswell. so 2 weeks ago i noticed my tank had a small leak. bc i didnt have a similar size tank i was worried about making too many moves into new environments. so the first week i couldnt find a tank. second week comes along i decided i need to fix it now bc it just got worse. i put the rtp in a 75 gal. and my atf in a 4ft 150 with the 6 silver dollars and catfishes. i took all the media except for the k1 that was in a 100 gal sump under the 210. this tanks been up for over a yr est with no issues ever. so i split the media in half. the atf tank has a ac100. and i jus dropped the media in the middle of the tank in mesh bags. the 75 gal is acrylic and ac110 couldnt fit on it. so from the sump i take out the 3 established sponge filters i keep for emergencies and put it in the 75 aswell as bags of media in the middle of tank. next day i picked up my TEMP tank until my 210 is sealed and done. give or take 2 weeks. temp tank had a leak in overflow box so i figured id seal it now while its empty. 24 hrs later i set up the other tank and go and fish out the payaras. i noticed 2 of them had ammonia burns on there side. so in a panic i figured the other tank is up and i have it filtered thru my old sump. withing the first 2 hrs. 2 died and yesterday morning another 2 and this morning another 1. tested water no ammonia and im also doing 30-40 percent wc daily. just incase. now my atfs are feeling crammed in the 4 ft tank but im worried to put them in this one and have em die off.

A

AquaAlex1993

Oh, man that sucks. Tats are one of the best payara. So sorry bro. Hope the last one stays strong and pulls through. I have my fingers crossed for you, my man.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Sorry you lost fish.

I tried reading the entire opening post but had a problem following the information due to the way the sentences ran together. It may be you will get more responses if the information is separated with a bit more punctuation. Many simply will not read all the way it is.

Near as I can tell you added too many new fish into a tank and had an ammonia spike.You had an established going from which he needed beneficial bacteria (bb) can be taken to get the colonies going. Keep up with the water changes (WC) in the meantime.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

jonnytat2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
N. Jersey
thanks guys . sorry about the punctuation was on my phone. speak - type . yeah i def agree. now im doing wc daily to make sure nothing else happens. so far so good. Down to 1 last red tail, which was the smallest in the group

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store