Lovely Day to get Skunked in the X-boat

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
As lakes go here, Pine Flat is not one of my favorites. Unfortunately it is one of the few local lakes that remains open. There has been heavy pressure on the fish.
FF8040F1-4222-4011-A30E-D1386B3396E2.jpeg
Also we just had a storm and then it turned sunny just as we decided to go fishing. That never works.
4F2B9CD0-7994-4D85-AA19-13E45FD09AE1.jpeg
We heard rumors that they had planted trout, while we were hoping for spotted bass; yet our fate was to see neither.

The lake was about halfway down and we went as close to the dam as the buoys would allow. The main channel was still 200 feet deep and I went for broke with the trolling rig.
FBE9E6BA-82EC-4C90-83E4-5B2860DE688C.jpeg
Fortunately the experimental electric boat ran like a Swiss watch except for one little issue. My onboard USB charging adapter kept causing a fuse to blow and I had to unplug it when I got to my last spare.

I only have four batteries now and the reduction of 100+ pounds of batteries and 10 pounds of heavy cable definitely made the boat easier to land and launch. It also freed up two large cubbies under the seat bench.
3D7051C0-63C8-483B-9D87-AED6D71009C3.jpeg
Because it’s experimental, I hadn’t bothered to clean up the visibly ragged fiberglass bait wells, that I turned into battery trays. I’m hoping for some light, modern, powerful batteries in this boat in my future, but for just puttering around the lake all day with a fishing rod it is absolutely ideal if you don’t have to get anywhere over 6 miles an hour.

I do have to use four chargers, because I don’t have anything that will do one four batteries at once.
In the photograph, I’ve got wired up 3 ten amp chargers, and a trickle charger on the battery that only runs my fishfinder and didn’t need much of a charge. I plan to take that battery out and install a small one, saving another 50 pounds. I didn’t know how the boat was going to do with only three batteries hooked up to the motor where I had previously had six.

But by the time we were done fishing and put it back on the trailer it still seemed to have full power.

So a poor day of fishing turned into a fine day of boating and it was quite relaxing with no excitement whatsoever to report.

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
As lakes go here, Pine Flat is not one of my favorites. Unfortunately it is one of the few local lakes that remains open. There has been heavy pressure on the fish.
View attachment 1440351
Also we just had a storm and then it turned sunny just as we decided to go fishing. That never works.
View attachment 1440350
We heard rumors that they had planted trout, while we were hoping for spotted bass; yet our fate was to see neither.

The lake was about halfway down and we went as close to the dam as the buoys would allow. The main channel was still 200 feet deep and I went for broke with the trolling rig.
View attachment 1440352
Fortunately the experimental electric boat ran like a Swiss watch except for one little issue. My onboard USB charging adapter kept causing a fuse to blow and I had to unplug it when I got to my last spare.

I only have four batteries now and the reduction of 100+ pounds of batteries and 10 pounds of heavy cable definitely made the boat easier to land and launch. It also freed up two large cubbies under the seat bench.
View attachment 1440355
Because it’s experimental, I hadn’t bothered to clean up the visibly ragged fiberglass bait wells, that I turned into battery trays. I’m hoping for some light, modern, powerful batteries in this boat in my future, but for just puttering around the lake all day with a fishing rod it is absolutely ideal if you don’t have to get anywhere over 6 miles an hour.

I do have to use four chargers, because I don’t have anything that will do one four batteries at once.
In the photograph, I’ve got wired up 3 ten amp chargers, and a trickle charger on the battery that only runs my fishfinder and didn’t need much of a charge. I plan to take that battery out and install a small one, saving another 50 pounds. I didn’t know how the boat was going to do with only three batteries hooked up to the motor where I had previously had six.

But by the time we were done fishing and put it back on the trailer it still seemed to have full power.

So a poor day of fishing turned into a fine day of boating and it was quite relaxing with no excitement whatsoever to report.
beatiful! I too went fishing today and got skunked. I expected it though. Tough to catch stripers in late november here! I may try for some holdovers soon!

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I've never been for stripers. I'll need a bigger rig. And some study.

I hate fishing an unfamiliar area. There's always some obscure rule like "...barbless hooks only between bridge 13b and the Friant confluence...."

I didn't know anything about fishing or hunting until I got older. Dad used to take me prospecting in the desert or 4 wheeling on wild jeep roads, but we never went hunting or fishing. But I used to go fishing with these guys as a little kid, and I was a new at school. They were a bit older than me, and I didn't realize we were poaching until much later.

When I got home, actually, and my mom asked me, "Where did you get this fish?!?"

She was used to me bringing home minnows and crawdads and turtles, but this was a near-legal Walleye Pike, and my first fish caught on a hook.

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
I've never been for stripers. I'll need a bigger rig. And some study.

I hate fishing an unfamiliar area. There's always some obscure rule like "...barbless hooks only between bridge 13b and the Friant confluence...."

I didn't know anything about fishing or hunting until I got older. Dad used to take me prospecting in the desert or 4 wheeling on wild jeep roads, but we never went hunting or fishing. But I used to go fishing with these guys as a little kid, and I was a new at school. They were a bit older than me, and I didn't realize we were poaching until much later.

When I got home, actually, and my mom asked me, "Where did you get this fish?!?"

She was used to me bringing home minnows and crawdads and turtles, but this was a near-legal Walleye Pike, and my first fish caught on a hook.
Awesome! Heres an update: I went out today in the freezing cold and managed a nice striper near the ferry!

• Wow
Reactions: The Masked Shadow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store