Lungfish+angelfish+african butterflyfish... problems?

LungfishKris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2020
Soooo I'm putting together a plan for Jethro the African lungfish's permanent tank and wanted to run a couple possible tankmates by you guys... so far has been solo in his tank but now that he's settled and the tank is staying stable I'm going to start adding cheap tester fish to see if he just annihilates them or if a sparse community will be possible.

I've seen photos of ALFs with large anglefish... anybody with good or bad experiences there? I'm hoping they'll work so I can add some color to the tank... also considered discus but haven't seen a success story yet.

Also thought I'd consider the African butterflyfish since they're surface all the time but also hoped for input...

I'm going to start by tossing several guppies in with ol Jethro and see how it goes... other tank mat suggestions appreciated, especially bright colored/interesting.

I have soft water maintained at 82°F, currently 55gal to become minimum of 120gal-200gal. Sandy bottom. Plan mix of large round rocks and driftwood with tethered plants and a couple abs tunnels

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d pass on the angelfish and African butterfly fish. Will end up as meals for the lung fish.

LungfishKris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2020
Anglefish too ehh? Bummer... are you on the no companions at all train or just not those ones?

LungfishKris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2020
Hmmm looks like a lot of people on the fence on the older thread... any hands on experiences with successful tank mates? Jethro is 14"ish right now, eating live earthworms as his main diet

There was a successful arowana in there... that'd be cool but I'd be looking at predator only at that point right? Has anybody here tried oscars?

LungfishKris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2020
I kept a 2ft lungfish with a variety of fish 3 to 16 inches in a 300 gallon
So plenty of space but plenty to eat also
My lung was very mellow never tried to eat anyone
He would eat pellets or shrimp he was a monster but was very mellow
Not all are like this but it is possible

View attachment 1419169
I've stumbled across your tank already... kind of my goal. Did you have any issues with the gouramis fin nipping the lung?

Jacob92677

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
South Orange County CA ?? USA ??
I've stumbled across your tank already... kind of my goal. Did you have any issues with the gouramis fin nipping the lung?
The gourmi are mellow for me
The ones who picked at the lung were the Flowerhorns & parrots i had in there
I’ve since moved them and rehomed a few

have a good hiding spot for the lung
I had a big 3 inch pipe that was over 2 ft long , he would sit in most of the day I decorated it with some rocks and gravel to look a bit better that a big black pipe

just keep a good look out as your fish get bigger one may become aggressive And dominate and may have to be rehomed
I’ve recently moved and sold some of my mix because my bass were ruling the tank and feeding was gettin tough for the others
Keeps your eyes open and observe
That’s what I do

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It’s very up and down with keeping lungfish with other fish. Can be unpredictable with afl. If it was a South American lung then it wouldn’t be a major prob with tankamtes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store