Lungfish Out Of Water

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hey all,

been thinking of keeping lungfish in the future and have read that some species in Africa can live 3-5 years out of water. This seems absolutely insane to me and out of curiosity have been wondering if anyone had any experiences or heard of lungfish living in low oxygenated areas or out of water for extended periods of time. Would they be able to survive 10+ hours in a plastic bag with water? Obviously I will not being trying any of these things or have even thought of “experimenting with this”. Just thinking out loud here lol.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey all,

been thinking of keeping lungfish in the future and have read that some species in Africa can live 3-5 years out of water. This seems absolutely insane to me and out of curiosity have been wondering if anyone had any experiences or heard of lungfish living in low oxygenated areas or out of water for extended periods of time. Would they be able to survive 10+ hours in a plastic bag with water? Obviously I will not being trying any of these things or have even thought of “experimenting with this”. Just thinking out loud here lol.
I've seen documentary on them in the dry season in Africa where the Lungfish stays dormant in a mud cocoon until the rainy season starts and then the Lungfish emerge out from the mud.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store