M. zebrinus - looking for experience from others

easternkingbird

Feeder Fish
Sep 30, 2018
Hello everyone!

I'd not consider myself a monster fish keeper usually, as I've got a sweet spot for the normally not so beloved fish in the aquarium hobby (that is I love labyrinth fish, kuhlii loaches and usually get a roll eye for it at the club since they're not fancy). But I love fish with character.

I'd been looking to get an eel for months, but couldn't get any anywhere. Yesterday I hit the lfs to get some rasboras and there they had a M. zebrinus, which I gleefully brought home.

He's now living in my 25g long blackwater tank and happily noodling around the plants and leaf litter, eating bloodworms. He's accompanied by 3 kuhlii loaches (there were 4, I lost one, I'll get a few more soon).

Tank will be upgraded to a 47g for my birthday.

Now to my question:
I wanted M. panculus, actually, and the general care of spiny eels is more or less the same.

But I can't find any solid information on specifics for M. zebrinus
My lfs said he'd not grow bigger then 5,9" which is about his current size.
Online I found information about him growing up to 18" in the wild, but 'smaller in home aquaria'

So what's your experience with their size? What should I expect? Do I need to get more then 47g?
I also found conflicting info on inter-species aggression - should I get another one or two to keep him company, or is the information correct that this is not recommended?
And, lastly: What are good companion fish? I'd love to have a small swarm fish but have distanced myself from mini rasbora of any kind, since I don't want any extra-expensive fish food ;) I'm thinkin danios maybe?

Thanks in advance for your time :)

Kind Regards

EK

easternkingbird

Feeder Fish
Sep 30, 2018
Nobody any experience?

I've confirmed what I feared yesterday already: My eel has ich (so, the whole tank has ich). Never had an ich infection in my tanks before, but I've read that eels are pretty susceptical to stress through moving and diseases.

My temperature is 77F at the moment and I'm slowly raising the temperature now up to 82F over the course of the next few days. I also started with 20% water changes and vacuuming the sand daily from today on.
I also ordered Seachem PreGuard.
I've read that I only need to dose half of the recommend dose to not hurt my eel, is this correct?

Anything else anyone could recommend?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Nobody any experience?

I've confirmed what I feared yesterday already: My eel has ich (so, the whole tank has ich). Never had an ich infection in my tanks before, but I've read that eels are pretty susceptical to stress through moving and diseases.

My temperature is 77F at the moment and I'm slowly raising the temperature now up to 82F over the course of the next few days. I also started with 20% water changes and vacuuming the sand daily from today on.
I also ordered Seachem PreGuard.
I've read that I only need to dose half of the recommend dose to not hurt my eel, is this correct?

Anything else anyone could recommend?
For ich, you really need to heat the tank up to about 90* and then add aquarium salt at about a Tbsp per gallon to the tank. That’s what I did when I got ich with my peacock bass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store