Made a batch of food

SCT62382

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2020
Carol Stream, IL
I like to feed a variety of foods to all of my fish and my stingray is no exception. Last week, I made this batch of food for her. Has two pounds of tilapia and shrimp, half a pound of scallops and added in 14 ounces of anchovies (I was looking for silversides/sardines and was told these would be perfect by my friend who knows a lot about rays). When I made this batch, I chopped stuff up a little at a time and combined it all still frozen and in chunks, so I wouldn't have one large frozen chunk of everything together like the last time I made a batch of food. Didn't add any vitachem but sometimes wonder if I should.
Anyone else make batches of food like this? What foods/additives do you include?

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
I used to buy a seafood marinara mix from the super market, it was white fish, a tiny amount of salmon, prawns, calamari and mussels. I would just cut it up and place into zip lock bags and freeze. These days my fish aren't to keen on it but they get earthworms once a week from the garden worm patch.

Reactions: SCT62382

SCT62382

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2020
Carol Stream, IL
I used to buy a seafood marinara mix from the super market, it was white fish, a tiny amount of salmon, prawns, calamari and mussels. I would just cut it up and place into zip lock bags and freeze. These days my fish aren't to keen on it but they get earthworms once a week from the garden worm patch.
I got the anchovies from a local Asian market. They had all sorts of stuff in their freezer section.
I've fed mussels to my stingray in the past but she doesn't seem to care for them all that much, otherwise there would be mussels in this batch

NCTRNL

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2020
I prep tilapia, shrimp, scallops and mussels. I just don’t mix them together as I’ve learned some are more desirable to the rays than others. So earlier in the day meals get the stuff they don’t like as much and later day meals get the stuff they like more if that makes sense ?

Reactions: Matteus

Goosefish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2017
I’ve been feeding raw shrimp with no shell plus tilapia and squid. I was tired of cutting up tilapia so I got a similar bag of some sort of sardine/silverside from the Asian market. I’m attaching a picture of the squid, this kind has small tentacles so a little chopping near the base makes a lot of small pieces. Cut it like a block when it’s just starting to thaw.

19264DF5-5C63-4588-8B59-49A0AD8858C5.jpeg

SCT62382

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2020
Carol Stream, IL
I’ve been feeding raw shrimp with no shell plus tilapia and squid. I was tired of cutting up tilapia so I got a similar bag of some sort of sardine/silverside from the Asian market. I’m attaching a picture of the squid, this kind has small tentacles so a little chopping near the base makes a lot of small pieces. Cut it like a block when it’s just starting to thaw.
Really been considering trying squid out with my girl, to see if she likes it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store