Tor khudree

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Awesome photos. It’s like they are flying.

Reactions: Bonytang

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Jib's at his best. Appreciate the IDs.

The more I stare at my Tor malabaricus (1.5') and Tor khudree (2'), the more I get why the former is too called Tor khudree malabaricus. Hard for me to see any difference.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Jib's at his best. Appreciate the IDs.

The more I stare at my Tor malabaricus (1.5') and Tor khudree (2'), the more I get why the former is too called Tor khudree malabaricus. Hard for me to see any difference.
Yup, they look quite similar, only when you start really looking that's when you'd see the subtle differences, also depends on whether the khudree you're looking at is a hybrid or the real khudree from Maharashtra or the hybrid released by the govt.

A few things to notice would be the scale size, and the position of the mouth

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Appreciate the tips bro and I had no clue that the hybridization had been thrown in... as if there was not enough ID trouble.

It would help my crude eye if my fish were the same size but I will stare some more at them, hopefully :)

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Appreciate the tips bro and I had no clue that the hybridization had been thrown in... as if there was not enough ID trouble.

It would help my crude eye if my fish were the same size but I will stare some more at them, hopefully :)
And the worst is when you don't have proper identification pics, and the fish look different based on season or availability of type of food.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
And the worst is when you don't have proper identification pics, and the fish look different based on season or availability of type of food.
Right. The breeding season can bring about significant changes (to a trained eye) in fish appearance even musculoskeletal but the feed availability I'd think mostly, or rather only, can affect coloration significantly. It also affects the gastrointestinal system but that occurs unbeknown to us laymen.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store