Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Make up water Ph different than tank water

Discussion in 'General Aquaria Discussion' started by Cecil B., Jan 10, 2017.

1. Cecil B.

Cecil B. MFK Members

Cecil Baird
      Mar 2, 2017
      How much of a shock to a biofilter and fish is using make up water that is 7.4 vs. 8.4 in a tank? My well water out of the well is 7.4 and won't' increase to the same Ph as the tank water without vigorous aeration. I can let it sit for 24 hours to no avail. Has to be vigorously aerated. Unfortunately the air pump I use presently has a blown a diaphragm. It won't be a week or so until I get another diaphragm.

I realizes that Ph is measured in a logarithmic scale which means 8.4 is 10 X that of 7.4. That's what concerns me although I try to add the make up water very slowy. The fish war recently hatched (trout) and seem to be fine as thy are feeding. I am having issues with the biofilter and think perhaps this may be due to some kind of Ph shock.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. deeda

deeda MFK Members

Dee
      Yesterday at 8:50 PM
      The usual recommendations I see is to not raise the pH more than 0.02 per day for fish but have not seen that suggested for bio-filtration.

What else may have changed with your bio-filtration?

3. RD.

RD. Crazy Canuck

Yesterday at 6:17 PM
      pH shock is a misnomer, the 'shock' factor comes from a sudden increase or decrease in TDS, which can cause osmoregulatory stress in fish. I have no idea about bio bacteria ....

4. Drstrangelove

Drstrangelove MFK Members

52 minutes ago
      pH changes for fish in large ponds and shallow lakes over a wide range every day. It changes far more suddenly when fish are downstream in rivers following a sudden rainstorm with surface runoff. And it changes for hundreds of thousands of fish every day when owners do a WC. I can't really say that I've read of any cases of "shock" from pH changes, either suddenly or on a daily in the typical range (6.5-8.5) in which fish are found.

BB is affected by pH change in becoming more or less active within a wide range 6.0-8.5, with some dormant below 6.0. In your case, I think it's fine to use slightly different water.

5. BIG-G

BIG-G MFK Members

Yesterday at 10:35 PM
      I dont think that it will cause any problems, But if you want you could add a little baking soda to your water before adding it to the tank.

6. narayanang76

narayanang76 MFK Members

narayanang76
      Friday at 7:31 AM
      I think this no need to worry much and should be fine.

Still you can consider some of the below suggestions:
      Water change 20-30% max - wont cause high fluctuation of PH
      Add salt (crystal salt) - will help increase TDS and in turn PH
      Try any of the popular water conditioners, during water change, to reduce any stress to the fish during water change

Issues with biofilter, if any, would not be due to any PH variation, but something else.

7. Coryloach

Coryloach MFK Members

Tuesday at 11:51 PM
      The Ph difference is normally due to higher co2 in the tap water. This has no impact on osmoregulation because co2 concentration has no effect on either GH,KH or TDS. It is safe to pour the water directly into the tank without aerating it prior. My tap water has a ph of 6.6 which goes up to 7.4 once it settles in the tank. I do large water changes filling the tanks straight from the tap. ..no issues whatsoever...for years...and happy fish because their owner is not afraid to do many large water changes. :)

narayanang76 likes this.
    8. Cecil B.

Cecil B. MFK Members

Cecil Baird
      Mar 2, 2017
      Thank you all!

9. punman

punman MFK Members

Thursday at 10:42 AM
      Are there really many places in USA with water PH at 8.4? Send me a truckload for my African Cichlids!
      My city in Western Canada reports a range of 7.3 to 8.1 so that gives me an average of 7.7.

I'd love to get 8.4 on a consistent basis.