Making it Simple: Filtration

tnit21

Feeder Fish
Sep 19, 2021
Looking to set up a 400g tank. Hoping for some guidance here, not sure if my setup is too simple and need additional items:

1. Sump will be a DIY 90g column tank (40 height, 24w x 24l). Plan is to have water overflow into the sump which will be sitting slightly lower.
2. Water will flow through the 90g sump and its media into a 40g breeder under the main tank which will be used for holding additional media/heaters/pump.
3. Submersible pump to then shoot the water back into the main tank

Question - will I get away with having 1 drilled hole for each step? or will I need more holes for additional water flow. I plan on using pvc for everything unless someone says otherwise. I understand how this works but still pretty new to this.

any help is much appreciated!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Looking to set up a 400g tank. Hoping for some guidance here, not sure if my setup is too simple and need additional items:

1. Sump will be a DIY 90g column tank (40 height, 24w x 24l). Plan is to have water overflow into the sump which will be sitting slightly lower.
2. Water will flow through the 90g sump and its media into a 40g breeder under the main tank which will be used for holding additional media/heaters/pump.

Question - will I get away with having 1 drilled hole for each step? or will I need more holes for additional water flow. I plan on using pvc for everything unless someone says otherwise. I understand how this works but still pretty new to this.

Welcome aboard
twentyleagues twentyleagues
duanes duanes

Reactions: Zues1725

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Your drilled overflow holes will have more to do with the type flow (GPH).
If you are keeping oxbow type fish that don't require much flow, the size of overflow and number of hole(s) may not be overkill.
If however you keep fish that require lots of flow, and lots of oxygenation, one hole, of moderate size may not be sufficient.
There is also the oops factor, where one hole gets plugged, and having that other as insurance, can be a life saver.
The photo below happened overnight, when some cichlids decided to redecorate. The tank was close to overflowing onto the floor, from the restricted pipe to the sump. I was very lucky to catch it when I did.
1632137073963.png
1632137252791.png
On my current tank (a 180 gal) it came with two 1" overflow holes to the sump.
They just barely keep up with the 1500 gph pump.
I need to brush out the ports daily, because even a small amount of gunk can restrict flow.4E5529A3-958C-49FB-9095-5C5B4E085A28_1_201_a.jpeg
Just about anything can plug up a single overflow, causing a problem.
6790A2E3-383B-4874-9A76-51156CD5A693_1_201_a.jpeg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
If you're new to all this I can fully understand that you are looking for the simplist set up, as it can be a bit daunting. But in my eye you're already making it twice as complicated, because, in effect, you're current plan has you running two sumps!!

Why not simply have your display tank drain into one sump with all your media, heaters, pumps etc etc all in one place. That makes it simpler to start off with.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!

Depends on the size of the pump and the holes. Gph.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store