Male Festae community tank

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
Just a simple question. Has any one on here ever had any success keeping a male or female festae in a community tank with other large americans such as oscars, texas cichlids, gold saums, snooks etc.??

and if so what tank size would you think this is possible?

Cheers

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
I kept a male with a community of bruisers. Tank size was 330 gallons

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I'd say you could definitely do a female with other cichlids in as small as a 150 or so, for a male it would be do-able in a 180, would just have to be careful what his tankmates were. Growing the fish up together would help as well. If you have the male festae as largest fish in tank, and put him with fish that generally stay below 12", I think it wouldn't be that hard to do.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I think the snook might struggle, they have very delicate mouths and are generally pretty chilled, the Texas, green terror and festae could easily bully it and at a possible 20 inch, the biggest fish in the tank it won't be able to hide.

Reactions: DannyDovii

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Not sure it would have worked in a smaller tank, but not because of the festae. He was in with a jag, midas, chancho, and a couple other amphs

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
My 8-9" female festae wrecked males that were the same size or larger in a 8 foot long tank, which includes 12"+ Oscar, 8" green terror, 7" brasilensis, and 8" kelberi. She was merciless, and actively hunted them. The only male that was able to stand up to her was 12" jag, but that was when she was 4-6".

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
My 8-9" female festae wrecked males that were the same size or larger in a 8 foot long tank, which includes 12"+ Oscar, 8" green terror, 7" brasilensis, and 8" kelberi. She was merciless, and actively hunted them. The only male that was able to stand up to her was 12" jag, but that was when she was 4-6".
Wow considering how less common these guys are they seem to be one these fish that has endless horror stories of completely assassinating all their tank mates. Thanks for your reply Rocksor. I have decided to remove all other cichlids from the tank and just give the festae a tank to itself with some silver dollars and a couple of large plecos.

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
I had a 9" male in a 135 with smaller fish that he would not perceive as a challenge - no issues at all. I have an 7/8" female in a 300 with small and relatively large bruisers - she bothers no one and does a good job of avoiding conflict when fish go after her - never suffers any real damage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store