Male flaveolus

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Just a quick update on my male flaveolus. He's just over 13". Have him paired with a smaller 5-6" female. They've had a few spawns but they usually eat them not long after they're free swimming. Hopefully I can save some from the next spawn :)

2018-12-15_18.27.04.jpg

Last edited:

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
I watched a YouTube video the other day stating that a barred Midas is close enough to a citrinellum that if bred together the offspring isnt considered a hybrid....

is this true?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I watched a YouTube video the other day stating that a barred Midas is close enough to a citrinellum that if bred together the offspring isnt considered a hybrid....

is this true?
duanes duanes
RD. RD.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
amphilophus is one of those genus that has been fragmented a million times, and will continue to be, due to so many slightly different locales and similar but "different enough" fish. "Barred Midas" or any type of "midas" is considered to be citrinellum, so technically, breeding different citrinellum to each other does not produce a hybrid fish. However, that is not to say that all citrinellum are 100% genetically similar, and in the future there will probably be more amphilophus species described.
A similar situation would be dovii- for example, Nicaraguan and costa rican dovii are noticeably different, yet are both dovii. If you breed a costa rican to a Nicaraguan dovii, you will probably get a fish with some characteristics of both locales- the fish is a pure dovii, not a hybrid, but no longer a pure costa-rican or Nicaraguan dovii.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I asked because when I searched flaveolus, I thought it said it was called a "barred midas"
Shows why scientific names are useful. Midas is a amphilophus citrinellus, two barred parents can spawn a fish which will peel and turn into the yellow colour and vice versa. Amphilophus flaveolus is very similar to citrinellus but comes from lake apoyo,

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Shows why scientific names are useful. Midas is a amphilophus citrinellus, two barred parents can spawn a fish which will peel and turn into the yellow colour and vice versa. Amphilophus flaveolus is very similar to citrinellus but comes from lake apoyo,
They also look similar to Amarillo and Chancho as well. I've yet to keep any Amphs, my biggest tank is a 5ft 120gal. I assume I could get away with one big male of some species of amph, but right now is occupied by an Oscar and a Texas.

Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store