Male Kenyi African Cichlid Juvenile has killed my entire tank.

vinnie coyle

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2018
Ireland
Hey,

Have been hovering around the MFK forums now for some time, and want to thank you all, as I have learnt so much... I want to add some details about my first fish tank setup and experience.

A bit about my fish keeping story so far...

So in Jan this year, I got my self a second hand 260 litre Juwels aquarium, it has a few scratches on glass and was not the nicest wood colour, so first thing I done, was sand, and add a coat of white primer, then 3 x coats of black gloss paint, turned out lovely. I did nothing with the scratches, which really annoys me now, as there is one pretty deep scratch on the curved viewing panel. My tank had a gravel sub-strain and lots of local rocks which I tested to make sure they were safe for aquarium, and had lots of caves for fish to hide. I also painted the back and one side of the glass gloss black.

Cycling.. (I choose to do a fish in cycle, as Ammonia is not easiest thing to get were I'm located).
my PH out of tap is 7.2.
I cycled the tank for 6 weeks, by first adding water and lots of Java Ferns, leaving it running for a week with my 1400 LPH Air Pond Solutions canister filter, running and got my temps up to around 26 degrees Celsius (78 FH), after a week I got 6 Zebra Danio's, and done a 25% water change (WC) every second day, keeping an eye on my parameters. after around 3 days I saw a spike in Ammonia, then after another 3, I started to see some Nitrites showing, then in around 10 days, I started to see Nitrates.

This was my first every tank that I cycled, and after around 22 days, my tank seemed to be fully cycled, my Ammonia was 0, Nitrites were 0, and Nitrates were showing around 5, I kept this running for a further 2 weeks keeping up with my WC of 25% every second day.

Africa Cichlid (AC) Time
Were I live we dont have any good pet shops which have AC, so I had to order them online of a guy near me, the only problem was, he didnt know individual species, only that they were pseudotropheus juveniles, and he promised there were in good health, and starting to show colour, so I took a change and ordered 8.

I received,
3 x orange looking ones. (looked like zebras)
3 x pure silver, with a slight black stripe
3 x pure white with red eyes.

1 x free, ha.

Received the fish, all about 1 inch, and all in good health, I removed my Danios, and gave to a friend, and just floated the bag for around, 15 mins, and emptied into a bucked with net to catch fish and placed them all in my tank. I didnt do any other acclimation, as have read this is the least stressful way.

After around 1 week all the fish seemed happy, and parameters were all good, so I ordered another bath of 8,

1 x more orange looking ones.
1 x pure silver, with a slight black stripe
3 x pure white with red eyes.
4 x peacock looking ones,

Again all healthy, so after another week, I ordered another 8.

2 x more orange looking ones.
3 x pure silver, with a slight black stripe
3 x peacock looking ones,

This was to be my total stock list.

All was good for the first few months, then I started to lose a fish every week or so, was checking my parameters all the time and everything seemed normal. after around 8 had died, I ordered another 8 to replace, again all seemed good, but kept having these dead fish every now and again, which I couldnt understand.

My fish were all around 2 - 3 inches long at this stage, and all showing lovely colours.

Nightmare
Then last week, I turned on my light, to find around 8 fish lying dead, and all other fish hiding with torn fins. I quickly removed dead fish, and done a water change this time adding some salt, so see if it would help calm things. I added around 280 grams of pure sea salt, first adding to boiling water to melt then slowly added to fish tank over the space of a few hours.

I then observed for a while and checked all my parameters and all seemed normal..

I could not see any fish acting aggressively as they were all hiding the whole time, so didnt know what or who was the issue.

The next morning I woke up to all my fish except one dead... a Male Kenyi Cichlid and the largest of all a Red Zebra, he was around 3 1/2 inches and pretty thick.. I observed for the day and the Kenyi Cichlid was relentless, he just chased him from every cave all the time, I tried seperating him to save him, however he died in my 10 gallon tank the next morning. this was over a week ago, and my kenyi has had the tank all to himself and is loving it. he just swims around all day. He is getting brighter Yellow by the day.

Has anyone else had any experience like this with Kenyi Cihclids. I thought having them all grow up together would help calm them down, not the case with this guys, I can only guess that he wiped out a whole tank by himself.

Anyway just wanted to add my experience in case it helps some one else. Male Kenyi need to be watched closely, especially if they get over 2 inches.

If I done anything wrong, or any behaviour I could have looked out for please let me know.

I have ordered a new fish today, and will be arriving on Tuesday, he is going to have the tank to himself... Ill write another post as need you guys advice on this one...

Thanks for reading

Vinnie

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Sorry for your losses!

Can you post the dimensions of your aquarium please?

The Kenyii and red Zebra are 2 of the most aggressive african cichlids so it's not a surprise they killed off the other fish.

Do you have any pics of your tank that you can post here? You may have to post a couple more times before you can put up a pic, I think you need 5 posts before you can add pics.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My first attempt and last with Mbuna I had a similar experience like you.
Purchased about 9 small Mbuna out of a mixed tank. An Auratus and Kenyi tagged teamed and killed the other Mbuna one by one. Tbh it was my fault for not doing thourough research.

Reactions: BichirKing

vinnie coyle

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2018
Ireland
Sorry for your losses!

Can you post the dimensions of your aquarium please?

The Kenyii and red Zebra are 2 of the most aggressive african cichlids so it's not a surprise they killed off the other fish.

Do you have any pics of your tank that you can post here? You may have to post a couple more times before you can put up a pic, I think you need 5 posts before you can add pics.

vinnie coyle

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2018
Ireland
Hey,

So not just me...

The little guy is crazy. I had to rescape my aquarium today, in wait for my new fish. And the little guys went nuts. He charges me at glass, it's so funny. Kind of liking the wee fella,. But can't have that tank to himself. He needs a bachelor pad... Ha...

vinnie coyle

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2018
Ireland
Hey,

My tank is 4ft with curved glass. It's 260 litres.

I'll get pics posted shortly. On 2 more post before I can add them... I thinks.. ha

Reactions: Matteus

vinnie coyle

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2018
Ireland
My re-scaped tank, waiting on my flowerhorn, (please see my other post with pics)... hard to get used to being so bare....

tank.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store