Male milt in aquarium

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
My 180g com tank is usually crystal clear. Though occasionally, barely noticeable to the untrained eye, there seems to be an extremely faint milkiness to it. Straight away you'd think bacterial bloom, somethings wrong, search for dead fish, get the test kit out etc etc.

I've no reason to have a bacterial bloom in my tank, as far as i'm aware, and yet this extremely faint milkiness appears, and then goes. And then I realised what could be causing it.

I have 3 types of rainbowfish and my turquoise and boosemani, especially in the mornings, are always "at it". Could it be that the build up of male milt is what's making the water temporarily lose its usual crystal clear appearance?

Do a search on line and it's all bacterial bloom/new tank related. No mention of possible milt being dispersed in the water column.

Comments? Ideas?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My 180g com tank is usually crystal clear. Though occasionally, barely noticeable to the untrained eye, there seems to be an extremely faint milkiness to it. Straight away you'd think bacterial bloom, somethings wrong, search for dead fish, get the test kit out etc etc.

I've no reason to have a bacterial bloom in my tank, as far as i'm aware, and yet this extremely faint milkiness appears, and then goes. And then I realised what could be causing it.

I have 3 types of rainbowfish and my turquoise and boosemani, especially in the mornings, are always "at it". Could it be that the build up of male milt is what's making the water temporarily lose its usual crystal clear appearance?

Do a search on line and it's all bacterial bloom/new tank related. No mention of possible milt being dispersed in the water column.

Comments? Ideas?
Never heard or read anything about male Rainbow fish releasing milt but you may be on to something.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I see an opportunity looming here for some enterprising New Age aquarist to cash in and make a fortune. The Ionized Milt Transmogrification Induction Coil filter! Sure, the name is totally nonsensical, but if the Biocenosis Clarification Basket can be a thing despite having a name that is comically meaningless...why not this? Put together some goofy-looking apparatus, utilizing a set of rabbit-ear TV aerials, a few 3D-printed plastic parts, some kitty litter and maybe a couple of Radio Shack LED's for good measure...make up a couple of nice videos showing nice clean tanks with almost no fish in them...make it look like the gizmo is the only reason that those tanks aren't opaque, sperm-filled cesspools...and then just sit back and bask in the adulation of the masses! :)

esoxlucius esoxlucius , I'd get on this if I were you! It sounds like you have too much spare time on your hands...be constructive! :)

Note: any perceived sarcasm or silliness in this post...is barely noticeable to the untrained eye...so congrats to those who may have caught it...

Last edited:

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I see an opportunity looming here for some enterprising New Age aquarist to cash in and make a fortune. The Ionized Milt Transmogrification Induction Coil filter! Sure, the name is totally nonsensical, but if the Biocenosis Clarification Basket can be a thing despite having a name that is comically meaningless...why not this? Put together some goofy-looking apparatus, utilizing a set of rabbit-ear TV aerials, a few 3D-printed plastic parts, some kitty litter and maybe a couple of Radio Shack LED's for good measure...make up a couple of nice videos showing nice clean tanks with almost no fish in them...make it look like the gizmo is the only reason that those tanks aren't opaque, sperm-filled cesspools...and then just sit back and bask in the adulation of the masses! :)

esoxlucius esoxlucius , I'd get on this if I were you! It sounds like you have too much spare time on your hands...be constructive! :)

Note: any perceived sarcasm or silliness in this post...is barely noticeable to the untrained eye...so congrats to those who may have caught it...
I've hunted high an low on you tube but, unfortunately, I can't seem to find any tutorials on your design. Could you forward the blueprints to me please? :thumbsup:

• Haha

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Lol, sorry, no blueprints yet; it's more of a "conceptual exercise" right now. But feel free to take the ball and run with it! :)

Much like the inventor of the Biocenosis Clarification Baskets...I have put most of my effort so far towards creating the nifty name, without much thought to actually getting the idea to work or even make sense...

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Lol, sorry, no blueprints yet; it's more of a "conceptual exercise" right now. But feel free to take the ball and run with it! :)

Much like the inventor of the Biocenosis Clarification Baskets...I have put most of my effort so far towards creating the nifty name, without much thought to actually getting the idea to work or even make sense...
Ok then, you work on the name, i'll fumble about and try and perfect the mechanics of it. Although I must say, your current name is a bit of a mouthful, "the ionized milt transmogrification induction coil filter". We need something a bit more catchy where you haven't fallen asleep by the time you've said it.

Something along the lines of "the ionized transmogrification system".....or TITS for short. That way it'll be a good reflection on the pair of inventors who are working on it!! :thumbsup:

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I like the idea of a catchy acronym!

How about the Water Transmogrification Filter (WTF)?

I toyed with Non-Obtuse Ionized Detritus Extraction Apparatus (NO IDEA) but it's also too long...

May just settle on Subaqueous Carbonization Antimatter Magnet (SCAM).

Oh! Oh! Got it! The 4-stage Sustained Ultra Cavitation Ketone Elimination Reactor System (4 SUCKERS)! Perfection!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Lol, i'm not sure I like the way you've turned my original, and very serious observation regarding male fish junk, into a comedy sketch!

Just for the record, my water is crystal clear again now and my male rainbows all look absolutely bush whacked after their earlier frivolities.

I think i'm spending too much time watching my fish, that's what lockdown does for you.....turns you into a fish pervert!!

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I like the idea of a catchy acronym!

How about the Water Transmogrification Filter (WTF)?

I toyed with Non-Obtuse Ionized Detritus Extraction Apparatus (NO IDEA) but it's also too long...

May just settle on Subaqueous Carbonization Antimatter Magnet (SCAM).

Oh! Oh! Got it! The 4-stage Sustained Ultra Cavitation Ketone Elimination Reactor System (4 SUCKERS)! Perfection!
We'll add some plants to it for the extra green. We'll call the product "Just Ingredients, Zero New Materials Added Plants" JIZNMA Plants for short.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store