Male or female Dempsey?

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Agree with the above comments ... still hard to tell the gender. I also agree that it is a bit small for its age. Probably getting out competed for food. It's that first pic that makes me question whether it is a male. The 2nd pic looks more male, but when I look at that first picture, it makes me think female is possible.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’ve always thought between the parrot, sev, and leporinus, he wasn’t eating enough. Any way I can make sure he gets more?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
As long as it is getting something, at every feeding, it's fine. All you can do is offer food on both sides of the tank. Aggressive eaters will always outcompete the non-aggressive ones. But, if you are always chasing to make it get more food, the other fish will be overfed, you will have more waste in the tank, and end up doing more water changes.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
With the addition of the convict, he has been getting more aggressive. He will often dart at it and the dithers. Are both genders like this or does that indicate male or female?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
With the addition of the convict, he has been getting more aggressive. He will often dart at it and the dithers. Are both genders like this or does that indicate male or female?
Either gender can be as aggressive. New fish indicates more competition to the current residents, hence the darting.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Either gender can be as aggressive. New fish indicates more competition to the current residents, hence the darting.
Ok, thanks. I wasn’t sure if it was one of the types of cichlids where females are relatively peaceful, and males are psychos.

BigDaddyMagnum

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2008
New York
personally i still think a tad small to get dead accurate....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store