male or female green terror?

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
The fin length varies with strain. My male has trailing dorsal fin that touches the tail. Comparing your male with mine, your male looks like a female. I have seen male GT in the web that has trailing fin an inch longer than the tail.

However, within the same batch, fin length is a good indicator for sex, provided that fighting don't prune the fins. Next time when I have another batch of GT, I will check what size I can start sexing by fin length.

IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3596.jpg

Master Wilkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Vancouver B.C.
The fin length varies with strain. My male has trailing dorsal fin that touches the tail. Comparing your male with mine, your male looks like a female. I have seen male GT in the web that has trailing fin an inch longer than the tail.
Ok... I hate to see informative threads turn into trolling contests...

Your male is a very nice specimen, HOWEVER, judging by its features I would say its a MATURE adult. MINE is still a JUVENILE at 5-6" long, 7 months old, and still has TONS of growing to do in both body AND fins.not to mention a Clarias Gareipienus recently trimmed a small amount trailing off of his top fin. BOTH of ours are GUARANTEED MALES judging by the fins, among other aspects.

But we aren't here to compare and insult each others fish, we are here to correctly sex the young green terror fish that he wants identified. And I will bet money that 100% his fish is male.

Reactions: maxefforts77

Mr. Red

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2013
Parsons, KS
Ok... I hate to see informative threads turn into trolling contests...

Your male is a very nice specimen, HOWEVER, judging by its features I would say its a MATURE adult. MINE is still a JUVENILE at 5-6" long, 7 months old, and still has TONS of growing to do in both body AND fins.not to mention a Clarias Gareipienus recently trimmed a small amount trailing off of his top fin. BOTH of ours are GUARANTEED MALES judging by the fins, among other aspects.

But we aren't here to compare and insult each others fish, we are here to correctly sex the young green terror fish that he wants identified. And I will bet money that 100% his fish is male.

so judgeing on the fins u think its a male.

maxefforts77

Feeder Fish
Apr 18, 2017
so judgeing on the fins u think its a male.
Yes, just about all experts that own LFS or just fish keepers that really know their stuff as well as my research and just by buying fish with pointy fins turn out male, every single time. So I do agree with him as well.

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Sorry......I have to poke a hole in the "pointy fins method"..........

It depends on your idea of pointy.

My adult female has very clearly pointed fins. Males tend to develop a "trailer" on their pointed fins though.1380844

I am confident The OP's fish is a female. I usually go by the "spangling" in the dorsal fin. Males have lots of designs, females tend to be dull, sometimes clear. Some fish are obvious, others are tricky. Bearding is also a good way to guess, males have way less, and females tend to have more around the gill plate and under the chin.

I have seen pointed fin females, rounded fin females, light females and dark females. They all tend to have dull dorsal coloring. Its not a 100% for sure, but nothing is except sexing or having a pair spawn.

E Elemack < your fish is female as well (dull dorsal)

20180608_210727.jpg

Reactions: Nove Sedici

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
tiger15 tiger15 , notho2000 notho2000

Both of you guys were spot on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com