Male or female JD?

Sunscream

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2019
Pittsburgh
Was wondering what you guys think of this fish? Pretty sure it's a male but wanted other thoughts on if you think he's a full Jack or hybrid. He's about 4 to 5 inches long and getting bulky and growing fast

IMG_20190604_200314.jpg

IMG_20190604_200242.jpg

IMG_20190604_195809_1.jpg

IMG_20190604_195756.jpg

Sunscream

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2019
Pittsburgh
Looks Male to me! Very nice Jack by the way.. how old and what size?
Thank you! He's between 4 and 5 inches I think and getting pretty bulky. I've had him for 2 months and he was still a baby so he's probably no more than 3 or 4 months old I'd say and growing fast! Honestly can't believe how fast he's growing lol

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Givin good clean water a good diet and enough space they'll grow fast and can get pretty big... got my female around 3 inches and is about 9 now full grown... not normal for females from what I've read and heard

Sunscream

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2019
Pittsburgh
Givin good clean water a good diet and enough space they'll grow fast and can get pretty big... got my female around 3 inches and is about 9 now full grown... not normal for females from what I've read and heard
That's awesome! I have a gold and a electric blue Jack dempsey also and they are only about 6 inches long. I'm thinking this one is gonna be a monster! I feed them raw shrimp, carnivore pellets and flake food, the flake food is for the smaller fish and my big angel fishs like it.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
JDs are not strict carnivores, but omnivores and need some plant matter in their diet. The pellets are most nutritious of your list, although a pellet with infused with Spiralina algae might be better. In nature the main part of their diet is algae, detritus, and aquatic and terrestrial insects. They try to prey on the live bearer fry around them, but miss at least 9 out of 10 attempts.
Below is a video of how they live in nature.
Eden2

Sunscream

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2019
Pittsburgh
JDs are not strict carnivores, but omnivores and need some plant matter in their diet. The pellets are most nutritious of your list, although a pellet with infused with Spiralina algae might be better. In nature the main part of their diet is algae, detritus, and aquatic and terrestrial insects. They try to prey on the live bearer fry around them, but miss at least 9 out of 10 attempts.
Below is a video of how they live in nature.
Eden2
Yeah I give them mostly meaty foods like raw shrimp and carnivore pellets but I also put flake food and I'll break up a algae wafer and give it to them occasionally also

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store