marble achara minimum tank size

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
JW i saw this decent 20" marble achara at the LFS, and wondering the tank size for it. would a 150?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If both maxillary barbels touch two opposing tank walls at the same time, the fish's instinct will tell it that it's trapped and the fish will become stressed, nervous, and darty.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
"Whole thing"?

:) Well, let me see, if one subsrcibes to the big band theory, first there was a super condensed matter, which then exploded forming the universe and our planet, our planet was super glowing red white hot, then slowly cooled over millions of years and the earth crust was formed, after a while there appeared giant trees, ferns, huge toothy fish, and dinosaurs, then an enormous asteroid almost destroyed the whole planet setting in a long nuclear winter, but some smaller mammals survived... fast forward, in 2005 MFK was born, which brings us to where we are... :)

[1] If you mean "at the moment", then a 20" achara would possess an approximately 2.5'-3' barbel span. Hence, just like Dave said, 8x4 or 6x4 footprint is needed ideally, which will only leave us about 1' for depth, if a tank is 220 gal. Such tanks are almost never met in our hobby... except with some stranger stingray lovers.

[2] If you mean "for a short time", if you keep it in a 220 gal for a few months while setting up a properly large home for it, I don't see a big deal with it either.

[3] If you mean "for life", no way.

You seem to be stingy with words for an unclear reason, which makes me think of and type more :)

A well asked question paves the way for a more helpful answer.

Also nothing livens up a thread as a photo :)

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
"Whole thing"?

:) Well, let me see, if one subsrcibes to the big band theory, first there was a super condensed matter, which then exploded forming the universe and our planet, our planet was super glowing red white hot, then slowly cooled over millions of years and the earth crust was formed, after a while there appeared giant trees, ferns, huge toothy fish, and dinosaurs, then an enormous asteroid almost destroyed the whole planet setting in a long nuclear winter, but some smaller mammals survived... fast forward, in 2005 MFK was born, which brings us to where we are... :)

[1] If you mean "at the moment", then a 20" achara would possess an approximately 2.5'-3' barbel span. Hence, just like Dave said, 8x4 or 6x4 footprint is needed ideally, which will only leave us about 1' for depth, if a tank is 220 gal. Such tanks are almost never met in our hobby... except with some stranger stingray lovers.

[2] If you mean "for a short time", if you keep it in a 220 gal for a few months while setting up a properly large home for it, I don't see a big deal with it either.

[3] If you mean "for life", no way.

You seem to be stingy with words for an unclear reason, which makes me think of and type more :)

A well asked question paves the way for a more helpful answer.

Also nothing livens up a thread as a photo :)
haha quarantine mood. but God created the heavens and the earth. anyway "whole thing" = i saw a marble achara at the lfs, and wondered if it would be compatible for my tanks. but thanks for the explanation tho.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'd vote for getting it, which will give you a reason to start saving toward that 500 gal 8x4x2 you have been wanting for a while or to set up a 5,000 gal kiddie pool in your garage or basement :)

Thank you for being a good sport about my joking at your expense :) I thought you could tell me to go do something better...

haha quarantine mood. but God created the heavens and the earth.
Amen to that, brother. This is the belief I subscribe to but it doesn't necessarily contradict what I wrote above and they may be even wholly compatible.

Reactions: cichlid tank

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
I'd vote for getting it, which will give you a reason to start saving toward that 500 gal 8x4x2 you have been wanting for a while or to set up a 5,000 gal kiddie pool in your garage or basement :)

Thank you for being a good sport about my joking at your expense :) I thought you could tell me to go do something better...

Amen to that, brother. This is the belief I subscribe to but it doesn't necessarily contradict what I wrote above and they may be even wholly compatible.
i believe in the big bang, i just know who banged it :)

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store